• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Northern Light - Iceland

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

So my wife has brought me a weekend away to Reykjavik at the end of January for my birthday, with a northern lights tour..

So I'm defo going to take the DSLR for this any tips for photographing it..

Reckon I will use the 18-55mm with my neewer wide angle lens for this..

Really excited at the chance of seeing it and photographing it ;)

yes i went there a few years ago, got some images but best to just look, you can miss the best whilst messing about with the camera.

Had mine on tripod taking pics (bracketed) with auto shutter release, watched the lights and just kept pressing button over and over

again, could rotate tripod head to general direction as they are not small :D  got some reasonable ones and still got to watch the show :D  if you get two nights you can narrow down exposure times from the first night

Sheila

Guest Tweedledum

Saw the northern lights in Alberta, and on the flights. Amazing, as ibbo make sure you enjoy them. I put the camera on a tripod and used a remote shutter release. Enjoy the spectacle ours were accompanied by a slight 'whooshing sound too'. Enjoy your trip.

I've only seen them from a plane on a Northern Lights Flight from EMA. I'm sure they will be spectacular from Iceland. You will love it, I'm envious :)