• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Height of HEQ5 for 8� SCT

gfletcher

Hi Guys

Would anyone know what the optimum height from floor level would be on an HEQ5 mount when mounting an 8" SCT OTA ?

I am roughly 6ft tall.

thanks

Graham

I presume you want to set a permanent pier in the ground.

Your best bet would be to set the whole thing up on a tripod first and adjust the legs to achieve the most convenient height for you to observe from, taking into account all possible pointing positions. Then measure the height to the mount.Also remember to allow for extra height of a deck that you will stand on. If you use an observing chair, then use that when getting the height.

For imaging the height may not be so critical, but for visual you need to be comfortable at the eyepiece.

i had my 8" sct on the mount fully extended and made my pier to the same height, top plate can be increased or decreased  a little.