• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Battery Pack Recomendation for Dew Heater

gfletcher

Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend and give me a link for a cheap battery pack to run my dew heater controller/strap.

thanks

Graham

I would skip a battery pack, and just get a decent sealed lead acid battery, that way you are only paying for what you actually need. Get a decent one, such as Yuasa, and correctly looked after will give you years of service.

I use one of these for running the dew gear on my 300P, but if it's a really cold night it reduces the capacity. I made a wooden box out of cheapo plywood and an old camping mat to insulate it.

http://www.batterymasters.co.uk/Product-Power-Sonic-PS12180,-12V-18Ah-For-Wheelchairs-Electric-Vehicles_1165.aspx

It will run all night, but has on occasion quit in the early hours if it's been very cold. 

Martyn, wot no Baz battery??

Martyn can not get them anymore, the company he used to get them from no longer does business with Martyn's company.

To alter a Monty Python quote, "the Baz battery, is no more".

I do have a Power Tank/Jump starter rated at 12v  17ah.

Will that be sufficient for powering my HEQ5 and powering the Astrozap dew heater for say a 5hr session ?

Graham

I think you may have an issue with that.

This hobby is best done over the winter months due to the dark sky but that also means the temperature drops, battery's do not last as long in the cold as they do in the warm, the voltage drops and EQ mounts are sensitive to voltage drops.

So running a mount and X amount of dew heaters on a 17a/h battery in favourable conditions would be fine but get it out in the cold, I would give a very reserve guess that your 17a/h pack would loose a quarter to a third of its charge leaving you with approx 12a/h to play with.

Like I say, you may be ok with that, I believe a mount draws less that an amp an hour (correct me if I am wrong) on tracking, plus your dew heaters, so you could be ok for a 5 hrs session but if that voltage drops, your mount will not like it!

Edited by Daz Type-R

Give it a whirl Graham, just try it during the day, and mimic what you might be doing at night. This will give you some idea as to the length of time you will get from it.

The cheaper power packs have cheap chinese batteries in them and are quite poor, I had one which cost me £24 and it lasted three weeks before the battery collapsed completely, a complete waste of money.

I do have a Power Tank/Jump starter rated at 12v  17ah.

Will that be sufficient for powering my HEQ5 and powering the Astrozap dew heater for say a 5hr session ?

Graham

I doubt it very much in the winter, the temp drop really takes it out of batteries.  I run with 110 Ah battery, but also have cameras etc.

Would think you would need 70 Ah deep discharge leisure battery to run 5 hours guaranteed really in cold weather

Sheila

Edited by Sheila