• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Oh Eck

Guest zidder

Guest zidder

Had my first short session last night with 8" Dob, Just had a scan around the East waiting for Jupiter/ Orion to get into view ( they never did, cloud came in) Was completely bamboozled, from

what appeared to be an empty patch of sky dozens of objects appeared, at this stage I had no idea

what I was looking at or seeing, but I now have an appreciation why you can spend years exploring andidentifying things, I did however think how do you isolate one object from all the myriad of things

in the field of view? suppose that comes with experience.

I did try for Lovejoy, but I don't know if I saw it or not.

Look forward to the next clear night 2017 probably

Sounds like you had fun. Is that the loaner scope or have you got yourself one now?

If you didn't see orion you probably didn't see the comet as they are fairly close in the sky. Good books and star charts are great for identifying and finding objects as long as you remember that they are upside down and back to front at the eyepiece. Once you get used to seeing faint fuzzies it becomes easier to pick them out. And we all have our own favourites that you tend to go straight to when you know them like old friends. Setting circles and goto can be a big help but I try not to rely on them to much.

Glad you are having a good time with the scope.

As for isolating your object, you do this by inserting a higher magnification eyepiece into the focuser, this then narrows your field of view thus bringing your object of desire closer, it takes a little practice but it's not that hard to do.

Guest zidder

Sounds like you had fun. Is that the loaner scope or have you got yourself one now?

If you didn't see orion you probably didn't see the comet as they are fairly close in the sky. Good books and star charts are great for identifying and finding objects as long as you remember that they are upside down and back to front at the eyepiece. Once you get used to seeing faint fuzzies it becomes easier to pick them out. And we all have our own favourites that you tend to go straight to when you know them like old friends. Setting circles and goto can be a big help but I try not to rely on them to much.

Loaner Andy, Looking at getting 10" this weekend (Maybe)One thing I found with the Dob is the lack of portability may have to rethink ?

Guest zidder

Glad you are having a good time with the scope.

As for isolating your object, you do this by inserting a higher magnification eyepiece into the focuser, this then narrows your field of view thus bringing your object of desire closer, it takes a little practice but it's not that hard to do.

Only used the 20mm e/p except when I looked at moon, mistakenly put 10mm without filter nearly zapped my eyeball

Loaner Andy, Looking at getting 10" this weekend (Maybe)One thing I found with the Dob is the lack of portability may have to rethink ?

Bear in mind you are loaning an 8" dob the 10" is bigger, and has a bigger base so will be even less portable then the one you have.

I  think the bases are the same size, just the tube fittings are slimmer to accommodate within the base, Andy would be able to confirm this. 

Guest zidder

Bear in mind you are loaning an 8" dob the 10" is bigger, and has a bigger base so will be even less portable then the one you have.

Yes Mick that has now become my issue, because I have limitations on angles of view from my back yard I may have to consider

something smaller with a tripod maybe a 150? but then will the limitations on what will be viewable brass me off?

Is that correct Baz, I know the 12" is bigger by lots as I had them side by side, I just presumed the 10" would follow suit.

No the 8" and 10" dob bases are exactly the same, my setting circle template fitted the 10" perfectly.

Congrats on first light though Gary - I told you the other night to try and lift it ;)  they are cumbersome when all in one piece, try seperating the dob from the OTA, you may be able to manage it better then.

Guest zidder

No the 8" and 10" dob bases are exactly the same, my setting circle template fitted the 10" perfectly.

Congrats on first light though Gary - I told you the other night to try and lift it ;)  they are cumbersome when all in one piece, try seperating the dob from the OTA, you may be able to manage it better then.

Down the gym Ha Ha. Daz how to align the setting circle when Polaris not ion line of sight

You can use anything, it does not have to be Polaris.

It just makes aligning slightly more difficult*.  Pick Jupiter for example, around 21:00 tonight, it is approximately 84 degrees in the East, just get Jupiter in the middle of the EP (a high mag ep is preferable, so 10mm) then set the setting circle to 84 degrees, voila!

* Like I said above about this method being more difficult, this makes the assumption that you have the setting circled zeroed to Polaris, it's not good having the setting circle set to 84 degrees if zero at the time is pointing south (if you see my point).  This is why we use Polaris at it forces zero to be pointing to the celestial North.

The other option would be to use Jupiter as 0 degrees but then you need some basic math to find anything else.

There's no denying that they can be cumbersome. But a lot less faf than an eq mount. The 150 isn't bad and will show you plenty, it's just that you will wonder what the view would of been through the 250, but the best scope is the one you will use.

Just to confirm the base on the 10 is the same as the 8 but the uprights are a bit further apart.

Also to think about regarding the 150 on an EQ mount, you will find the eyepiece will end up in some funny positions, unless you rotate the tube, not very good for someone with a bad back.

Waynes metal orion optics (UK) base is a lot more managable and takes up less floor space when stored, but of course it's dearer than the skywatcher wooden one.

There's never a straight forward answer decision is there!

An 8" or 10" dob will really show you a fantastic amount of stuff, and is so easy to set up and use.

The fact that it usually comes in two main parts should make for easier for transport and lifting. With any dob, it would be a simple task to add extra handles to make lifting and moving easier, or even add wheels so you can push it around.

As you will have already found out, you can find plenty of advice and help right here at EMS. I'm sure we can help you find ways and means to more easily move a dob around without putting unnecessary strain on your back.

Guest zidder

Got out for an hour tonight ,got my first look at jupiter cloud bands, just, tried 20mm with 2x barlow but could not get focus, so put 10mm in alone and got it, not quite as clear or magnified as i thought it would be. I think my expectations are a bit over optimistic

It could be a combination of the scope not being properly cooled down, or more likely the air above you moving, and the way the wind was last night, it would have been flapping all over the place. I am surprised you even managed to keep the scope on it.

When you get a good cold clear night, and the seeing settles, it can be pin sharp. It just don't happen that often at the moment though.