• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Atik 16IC First Light

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

So last night I braved the wind to give the Atik 16ic a whirl and on first impressions I was quite disappointed.. don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting 1080p HD viewing but looking at both screens one with the Atik on my ED80 and the other with my QHY5-ii on the 50mm finder the QHY was a lot clearer. 

Obviously compared to my modded 1100d the chip is ALOT smaller then the DSLR so the FOV was far smaller but im just not sure if its for me or not!!

I also seem to have brought the wrong Narrowband Filter as I purchased a Baader 8.5mn OIII and with this on it was really noisy images I was getting back even at 1200s on Pacman

I must have read the article wrong or just selected the wrong filter when buying as it seems I should have gone for a HA filter..

Is this correct?

15632543984_0085eb157f_z.jpgpacman-1200oiiis by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

May sound like a daft question but did you turn on the cooler? I tried my 314L+ and forgot the cooler and I got very similar noise. The cooler makes a huge difference.

Edited by Perkil8r

Guest StevenWhatley

hmmm not sure if its something that can be turned on and controlled on the 16ic, I didn't see an option for cooling anywhere when using Artemis, the fan at the back comes on soon as you plug it in tho so I presumed its doing its job..??

not sure when using artimis but with the 314 and maxim the fan runs straight away yes, but the cooling has to be turned on. There is an option in Maxim that much I do know, as for Artimis, sorry, I am not familiar with that software. Hopefully somebody else may know though :)

Guest StevenWhatley

I will plug in an have a go just read the about how to turn on but most stuff relates to the newer 314 no 16ic

Thanks

Never used this one, have used the 314 though.

In answer to one of your questions you would get a much better image if you used the HA filter rather than the O111.

Guest StevenWhatley

Thanks Graham, I thought as much :facepalm2:,  I have been reading and it may well be the Oiii filter that causes the noise.. as I didn't have the same issue with M33 without the filter

16068307229_381b623b4b_z.jpgM33 by stevenwhatley231284, on Flickr

No to spend another £100 quid on a HA Filter :angry:

Yeah. What Graham said is spot on. There is hardly any OIII in a lot of DSO. The fantastic black and white pictures that you see are nearly all in Ha. There is even less SII in most images too.

When I shoot narrowband I take the Ha subs then double the exposure for OIII and double again for SII.

So if Ha is 10 minutes OIII is at least 20 minutes. And then stack 6 hours worth.....

Guest StevenWhatley

Yeah. What Graham said is spot on. There is hardly any OIII in a lot of DSO. The fantastic black and white pictures that you see are nearly all in Ha. There is even less SII in most images too.

When I shoot narrowband I take the Ha subs then double the exposure for OIII and double again for SII.

So if Ha is 10 minutes OIII is at least 20 minutes. And then stack 6 hours worth.....

Ah got it now... Thanks.. best get one ordered !!!

Guest StevenWhatley

ok, well hopefully shooting in HA will allow me to get out more as the moons always out when its clear for me, so I wanted to get round this issue.

Cheers for the advice :)