• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

weather,going loopy

Guest daveclarke

Guest daveclarke

every time i get about 5 minutes, an then low cloud appears,cannot see anything through scope ,not enough time to set up equipment, getting very despondent,,,,spent loadsa money,,but get more visual contact with looking at the sky at night,through my own eyes,i have started a diary on what nights are clear and at what time i see the constellations,of the sky at night but  i seem to see the glory of the night sky ,using my own eyes,rather than my telescope,using bins at the moment ,,does anyone else experience this .I look at messiers charts,but when i go outside,and look up to the skies.nothing ,,,only a distant speck of light ,,,,,,,,,,,,,then low and behold 3 am in the morning on my nightly pilgimage to the toilet,,,bloody clear sky where i can see orions belt ,and too late for me ,it seems that in the early hours ,the sky seems to be the clearest,,and can only hope that one day ,i will get my gear out ,and spend all night in my back garden to see anything,,,even settle for a good sighting of the moon will do ,,to  put a long story short ,,,up to now i see more with the naked eye,,or through binoculars,than with my scope,is this a usual experience,to a new comer to a star gazer.

Hi Dave.

In a word YES.

When i started i was covinced there was a string that went from my obs roof to the clouds.

As it seemed every time i opened it the clouds came in.

You will have to get used to it i am afraid.

Sorry but that is how it is in the UK.

Yeah completely normal. Building an observatory or observatory style shed which either rolls off from over the scope setup completely (if you want to keep things smaller and cheaper) or a full blown roll off roof shed is the way to go so that you can leave everything permanently setup and then just jump on the chances when the skies are clear by running out and switching your setup on and get going.