• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS Stargazing Live 2015

Perkil8r

BBC Stargazing Live this year is happening in March. With the cricket pavilion soon to be rebuilt/upgraded it will not be possible for EMS to use it as a base for an event during that time so this year EMS will be holding the event in partnership with The Long Eaton School.

The event will be on Weds 25th March from 6pm - 9pm. Free admission and parking. A run down of attractions as follows:

Main Hall - Guest Speaker Anu Ojha OBE, Director of The National Space Center, National Space Academy and European Space Agency. Seating for 250 guests for one talk approx 30 mins.

Sports Hall -

Astrosphere mobile Planetarium - 3 free ticketed shows.

Display of GCSE Astronomy work by students.

Display of telescopes etc by members of EMS

Interactive experiments and displays for the public to try.

Light Pollution exhibition - TBC

Display by National Schools Observatory (Liverpool Telescope) from Liverpool John Moore University

Dining Hall -

Tea, coffee and cakes for sale.

School band playing suitably themed music.

Library -

Display of Lunar samples from the Apollo missions on loan from NASA

Display of meteorites on loan from Rutherford and Appleton

Display of flown tools, equipment etc on loan from National Space Center

Lab -

Comet making - Dry ice etc.

Observatory -

Tours and possible observing if clear through one or more of the permanently mounted scopes.

Outside (subject to clear skies)

Observing with members of EMS

Guided star tour.

Lecture room (if cloudy)

Short talk / star tour using Stellarium. (running as required / twice an hour)

As you can see, I have been quite busy! What EMS needs from our members is some willing victims to help with the two areas in yellow.

If you are able to help on Weds 25th March please reply here. You would be required to arrive no later than 5:15pm in order to get set up so that there is no last minute rushing about. I will organise refreshments for those helping out gratis. I realise this is a school night hence the advanced notice for those that might need to beg a favour etc. We are hoping to attract around 1,000 to 1,500 visitors this year.

On Thursday 26th March it will be the Astro Soc meeting, EMS members are more than welcome to attend this too but we would like to know in advance so we know which room we need for this. Guest Speaker - Paul Money. Admission by donation to none Astro Soc members, this goes towards the refreshments etc not to the school, the Astro Soc is self funding so as not to impact on the Astronomy budget, any excess at year end is put into equipment donations to the observatory.

Edited by Perkil8r

Put me down mike. Can bring the scope and my laser. I'd rather be outside than in, obviously as long as it's not doing the unthinkable.

Edited by tuckstar

Thanks lads :thumbsup:

Today has been a funny old day, had a bright idea to invite I don't know how many Universities, National Space academy and Space Center to exhibit too :facepalm: I do like to make myself more work :facepalm:

I will let you know about more details as soon as my head can get around it a bit more, there seems to have been a lot on today lol.

Let me check with the 2 bosses, the wife to let me out for the night and the works boss to let me leave work early.

Thanks folks, I am taking notes etc and will post more in due course just I am insanely busy organising for not just this but both Science week and the solar eclipse the week before this event which is one of three events during that week! Plus it's A Level Physics practical exam time those two weeks as well! I am working on a plan for the weds night though and will reply in more detail closer the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to come along with my scopes for this. Been a while since they have seen anything but the under stairs cubby hole.

Put me down to help out. Don't mind either having my scopes on display or out for observing.

Ok, pass out from the wife sorted, just got to get the boss to let me leave 2 hours early, will work on that next week.

Excellent, thanks to all, I will get to work on sorting who goes where etc I promise.

I have also had confirmation that the National Schools Observatory (Liverpool Telescope) will be bringing a display. I am waiting to hear back from UKSA and ESA though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I will be planning the details this next week for who is doing what etc. As I am sure you can appreciate this has been rather a lot of work this year as we have a lot more going off. I have had Dry Ice and Liquid Nitrogen to order and risk asses for starters! :facepalm:

It is made more complicated as it falls right after National Science and Engineering Week, which also falls the same week as the solar eclipse which will see me with at least 4 scopes (3 imaging rigs and one visual) running whilst looking after students who have been taken off timetable for the 2 hour slot. Add to that I have 4 different AS and A level practical exams to prepare and run over the fortnight as well!

I rather suspect the main plan will be to have everybody indoors unless it is clear, in which case I will have the "clear plan" which will have some inside and some outside.

Does anybody have any printed images they would like to display, and would anybody like to run a slideshow of images? We have the EMS projector (all the school ones are fixed position) that can be used with somebodies laptop. If anybody would be happy to do either of these please let me know and I can throw that into the plan.

Mike, pass out obtained from the boss. Should be with you around 16:15 - 16:30 ish.

Will bring the dob (as it's the only scope I have) don't mind where I am put, happy to do what ever.

:)

Anymore people looking to attend, it's going to be a good night, there are 10 of us so far so will be great to catch up with a few more.

It's got to be better than EastEnders or Corrie!!!

I am having trouble with the date, but i will try and pop in but wont be able to stay i dont think, so cant really bring all the kit.

Will do my best to be there....

Okay, I know I have been a bit slow posting but exams almost brought this all crashing down so I have had a lot of logistics to sort out.

EMS will now be situated in the dinning room with the teas etc, and if clear some will be outside with scopes I hope. The position is not ideal with respect to light pollution and the such but at least it will be on hard standing and in a good position for foot fall.

If I could please have a show of hands here of who can help out by bringing a scope or even two please? (if you can let me know what you can bring then I can sort out similar to last year to get a good spread of equipment) I will then try and sort a plan of who goes in and out if clear. Obviously if cloudy all will be inside. There is room and a suitable wall on which to project images if anybody fancies that. I will not be able to help much with this since I will be running about like a mad thing with a walkie talkie all night as well as doing tours and talks.

I realise this is dangerous putting Daz near to food, but if you knew half of the issues I have had this week I think most would have run away screaming, it really has been a case of juggling and trying to fit a pint in a half pint pot! I think I might end up living there at this rate that week!

Keep going mike your doing a fine job.

I'll bring the dob and the zeiss, put me where ever you want me, but again I'd prefer outside.

I'm defo there (there is food) and will be bringing the only scope I have, the 200P, I'm not fussed where I go.

:P

Still hoping to be there with a scope but if the dining room is a long way from the car park I cant lug a the big scope, it creased me 2 years ago. If it is further away from that building you showed us last week mike is there any way of getting the van down to unload/load ?

I have the same problem as Phil, no way will I be able to carry my dob that far unless we can open those gates Mike.

Chaps, I should be there early (16:00 I am aiming for) so should there to offer lifting assistance if we can't get the gates open.