• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS Stargazing Live 2015

Perkil8r

Mike,

Should I bring my steps for the little ones or will the health and safety police arrest me!

Edited by tuckstar

Mike,

Should I bring my steps for the little ones or will the health and safety police arrest me!

you will need them for me :rofl:

I'm bringing what I call Sheila's stool, perfect for the people who are challenged in the height department.

:P

Just had a run through with all the gear, to make sure it all still works and I haven't as yet forgotten anything.

Just tomorrow to get though.

I'm bringing what I call Sheila's stool, perfect for the people who are challenged in the height department.

:P

:wub:  thanks

Steps are fine, sorry I've not been about I have had rather a lot on and the gearbox has just lunched its self as I pulled up at home! :o

The lights will be on outside so don't expect to be going after anything too dim. The target of choice tonight for the staff was the moon, it never fails to impress newbies.

Venus might be tricky due to location but the phase was quite obvious from the obs. Jupiter is ideally placed as is M42, M45 is a bit tricky due to location.

Not seen the weather for tomorrow, I daren't look :facepalm:

A big thank you to all who turned out to help and to those who came along to visit!

The evening went rather well, there were a lot of comments about how good EMS were too, so once again value added :thumbsup:

I don't have any numbers but the carpark was overflowing and that wasn't to do with our lot as most were parked out back. The carpark holds 124 cars and I know of a good few who walked, and not many would have had less than 2 or 3 folks in the car, so I think we did quite well.

So once again, thanks to all, sorry I can't thank all individually but you all know who you are :)

Just to echo Mikes comments, it was a fantastic turn out of EMS members, with setups both inside and outside wowing the public. Lots of great public outreach, some truely classic "ohhh WOW" moments from kids and grown ups alike, a truely fantastic evening, with the added bonus of clear skies. EMS did good!

Had a great night. And clear skies for a change. Steady stream of people, lots of interest. And I saw someone looking through an actual eyepiece, mentioning no names!!!

I thought it went very well,  I enjoyed it and the interest was awesome.

A Dad said to his daughter, look at the four moons that go round Jupiter, she replied "There are 67". Boom, there's a hole in your boat Dad. I managed to get some pictures of the Moon on some folks phones for them as well, and they turned out better than anything I have managed for myself, ah well they were happy.

A big thanks to Mike and his minions for the organisation and planning a cracking job mate. And young Bob dragged his mum out for a walk round his public to top the night off. :)

Edited by BAZ

My daughter and I had a fantastic night. So much to see and do.

Thanks to Mike and all who made tonight possible.

• Like 2

Guest zidder

As this was my first event with EMS I had not a clue how it would be , I have left the event feeling dead chuffed, it was amazing the reaction from the folks that came along and I felt great being in position.to let them see things that caused a WOW. Thanks for allowing me to be involved

Great job EMS

As this was my first event with EMS I had not a clue how it would be , I have left the event feeling dead chuffed, it was amazing the reaction from the folks that came along and I felt great being in position.to let them see things that caused a WOW. Thanks for allowing me to be involved

Great job EMS

And that right there sums up how I feel about my "job" :) I just love hearing the wows

• Like 3

Had a great night. And clear skies for a change. Steady stream of people, lots of interest. And I saw someone looking through an actual eyepiece, mentioning no names!!!

:harhar:

• Like 2

Super evening and great fun. Haven't we been fortunate with the weather recently?! (Dare I say) :-)

Steve

Sounded like a good time. Shame I was working nights. Will book it off next year and bring my scope.

My daughter and I had a fantastic night. So much to see and do.

Thanks to Mike and all who made tonight possible.

Glad you and your daughter liked the event. You'll find there's so many different avenues in astronomy to explore, you'll not get bored.

If it was you who showed the images of the eclipse with a apparent darkening flare, I'd be interested to know the cause if you find one. if you tell me the times, I will have a look at my images to see if there were any taken at the same time. Other imagers might have a look. You could check the video on the Long Eaton Malcolm Parry observatory youtube link to the event recorded in both white light and, hydrogen alpha light (red).

Good luck

Derek