• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello Stargazers

Guest nebula

Hello everyone!

I've built up an increasing fascination for the universe as a result of watching too many documentaries... i'd thought i'd see if there was an astronomy group around my area. I would be really interested in meeting fellow enthusiasts and learning more about space, using telescopes and where are good places to view stars. I would love to go on few trips for some stargazing. I have no equipment, but I thought this forum would be a good start!

I'm local to Loughborough. :)

It's nice to meet you all!

Oli

You have come to the right place.

We have two dark sites we use on a regular basis, it's mainly an impromptu decision to arrange a meet when the clouds behave so keep an eye on the threads that appear.

The first visits are free and then we charge £20 per year membership but then you can go as you please.

On good clear nights you get at least 6 people turn up sometimes more and there is a range of different types of scopes to look through.

As for questions just ask away in the relevant sections, there's always someone who will answer you.

We are above all a very friendly forum so hope you enjoy yourself here.

As above you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard. Ask any questions you have in the relevant section and some one will shout. In the mean time enjoy the forum.

Hi Oli, a warm welcome to EMS.

Firstly, if you have no experience of telescopes, please don't go out and buy anything from a high street shop, it will put you off for good, some don't even make decent planters.

Get yourself a pair of binoculars to be going on with, even these will show you the comet that's about at the moment, some lovely star clusters, and will open up another layer of the sky beyond your eyesight.

If you haven't got it, download Stellarium, a free and superb bit of software, it will give you an idea of what to look for and where.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Feel free to come along and join us, and have a look at what might suit both you and your budget.

Enjoy the forum. ;)

Guest T_Tucks

Hi Oli,

I'm not too far from you, and work at the Uni.

I'm a novice as well so might not be that much help, but you're welcome to come here.

Tim

Welcome Oli. 

Lots of great advice on here. What are you interested in from a viewing point of view ?

Warning.....it can all get very expensive  :lol: