• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Asteroid BL86 2004

I managed to get a few shots of the Asteroid as it flew past on the 26th of January 2014, it was certainly moving at speed, this is the longest exposure i did which was 4 minutes in total.

Asteriod%20bl86%202004_zpskoqtcbcn.png

Edited by red dwalf

Nice work Rob. Paul Money got a few shots but not seen too many around. Was a busy night for me so didn't even get out to have a scan around (dam work!) The weather was pretty poor too much of the evening (If I remember?) so well done.

S

Guest HykehamObservatory

Very nice image. I agree it took a lot of finding. I wish I had better kit for imaging but I am in a well lit area near Lincoln so can't really do deep sky.

Here is my ten minute video. Each frame was 15 seconds long showing how much the object moved during that period. The image is approximately 35 arc minutes wide (slightly wider than the moon). It was taken using a Celestron 70 travelscope on a guided mount with an ASI120MM camera.

The image is 6MB.
http://www.thehykehamobservatory.webspa ... 04BL86.gif

thanks Mick, it looked better in the mono guide camera do 2 seconds subs you could see how fast it was moving.

Nice one Rob. I took many images with a std 1100d lens 55mm atop fixed tripod that night from about 830ppm to 0200. I couldnt work out navigation stars in the fields being imaged on the night despite using stellarium (without the asteroid ephemerides added). Some exp were 8-15s, others longer causing star trails themselves. Looking on APT screen, without enlargement, the lim mag looked about 8.5-8.75, so won't have got it -unless fainter stars can be seen on the images when enlarged. I've yet to inspect 200 odd images :( I can use your image to see if I have imaged that star field at the same time. But your field will be much greater magnified compared to a fl of 55mm.

I managed to get a few shots of the Asteroid as it flew past on the 26th of January 2014, it was certainly moving at speed, this is the longest exposure i did which was 4 minutes in total.

Asteriod%20bl86%202004_zpskoqtcbcn.png

Rob. Do you have any navigation stars on this image so I can look for images I took and see what's there?, or what's the RA and Dec of the centre of FOV, time of image? Thanks, Derek

Edited by Orion

sorry Derek i don`t, i just put the asteroids co ordinates into stellarium and slewed to it, but you can roll back the clock on stellarium so you could find it, 

image was taken on the 26th - 27th Jan at 5 past midnight on the 27th.