• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Andromeda

Guest zidder

Went out tonight for a quick go at getting Andromeda, which I found :frantic:  A question for you dob folks, below is a basic mock up of what I saw. Is that how you guys see it ?

andromeda_zps77f3b194.jpg

Edited by zidder

You normally only see the brighter central bulge area in light polluted skies.

If it stands out as well as in your pic above I'll swap you my 14" for your 10" :D .

Edited by Tweedledee

I see it as more elongated with a bright core and diffused outer.

I must say it's no where near as bright as you make it.

I see it like this:

M31_sketch_bino_small.jpg

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

Also the more experienced you become at the eyepiece the more you see as your eye becomes trained for looking at faint fuzzies.

I see it as more elongated with a bright core and diffused outer.

I must say it's no where near as bright as you make it.

I see it like this:

M31_sketch_bino_small.jpg

My hack up was just that a hack up, what I was trying to get across was the lack of any discernible shape, other than a roundish fuzz.

Being new to both astronomy and to this scope, understanding how things should look with given scope ( so I can work out if it duff or not) is part of the steep learning curve, so I hope you guys don't mind me plaguing you with inane questions  

Edited by zidder

No don't mind at all Gary, ask away.

You should see a bright slightly oval core surrounded by a definite elongated hazy smudge.

In fact through your 10" the view should look very similar to my picture maybe a tad less bright.

Yes, please ask away, even those of us who have been at it for decades are still learning. I find it looks like Mick's photo on a good night but I normally only get about 12-15 of those per year.

I'm still fiddling around with a DSLR when most people have moved on to CCDs.