• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

OK now im wondering.

cosmic dave

Now Im wondering what to choose, I posted I was thinking of getting a skywatcher 120mm refractor, I like refractors but they are heavy and do tend to wobble on the mount in the wind and I live in a very windy area. I have a 8 " dob but the mirrors are not great and the focuser stiff and the mount tends to snatch and jump a little so should I just get another 8" dob skywatcher ? good focal length and portable. or I could wait a few weeks and go for a 10" dob ? this has a much shorter focal length and heavy.

I'm into planets really I do find dso interesting but have always studied the planets. would the 10" collect to much light ? does anyone use a 8 or 10" dob to observe planets or should I go for the refractor, :wacko:

any pointers please.

Hi Dave, you are gonna open up a bit of a debate with this one me thinks. I would imagine that if you are more serious about observing the planets then a refractor or a mak on a driven mount would be the way to go. Are you going to be doing visual or imaging or both? As for gathering too much light, a bigger scope will resolve more detail on the planetary or the lunar disc. I use an 8 inch reflector to observe the planets and it suits me just fine.

I think what you're more familiar with will have a bearing on this. I am a newt guy, I love the design, the fact that you look down the "wrong end", and the ease of fiddling with them. I know they are not as sharp or contrasty as a frac but without an A/B comparison, I never notice and therefore don't care. I have a C80ED as a grab n go, to me, looking though the pointy end isn't as comfortable and aside from changing the focuser I don't need/can't do anything else to it.

Maybe you are more aware of the difference in view between fracs and newts, or perhaps there is a problem with your dob. Until you compare it with a similiar scope you won't know if there is a problem.

Buying a 10" newt may not be the answer if you are a dyed in the wool refractor man.

now im thinking skywatcher evostar 120mm on a eq5 mount then add motor drives to both axis ?