• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filters RGB

Johnnyaardvark

Hi all,

Will purchase a guide camera soon and will probably be mono. Would like to use this for a little planetary imaging as well so looking for a little advice one using and buying filters and a filter wheel.

Will likely be manual, 1.25" filters and have been looking at the set of Baader LRGB filters. Quite a bit more than I would really like to spend but partly thinking that these would future proof me if I ever bought a CCD camera. Would these be OK for planetary and/or is it daft overkill in terms of cost etc.

Advice on suitable cheap filter wheels welcome. Would prefer something that will support filters sufficiently to require minimum refocusing between filters.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

yes I use my  ccd ones for planetary

go for the electric filter wheel if you can and a focuser as well if you are serious about planetary

I use baader for narrowband imaging and I have some astronomik lrgb type 2 colour filters and can recommend both, sometimes you can be lucky and get them second hand saving a few quid.

Atik manual filter wheels work well with astronomik filters as the mounts are slimmer than the baader ones which catch in the atik manual wheels.

I've moved onto a USB wheel now which is a lot easier to use with the PC, just click a button to change filter and there's no chance of moving the camera setup which happened to me a few times but I'm all fingers and thumbs, trouble is a USB filter wheel cost a bit more.

Also most filter makers say that there filters are parfocal but they are not 100% so a little tweek is needed on some filters to get them spot on, something that didn't bother me too much until better image taking compells you to get it spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for info gents. Was mostly looking at the Baader filters as they are a little cheaper (I think?!) I notice there are some on ABS at the mo but little info, no pics. Say RGB so also missing I or L ones as well. Was thinking about buying new anyway I guess. But would not really need the IR on only the Luminescence (which I guess you could get away with an empty slot anyway?

There is also a manual Atik and cheaper Ostara one. Both manual.

Rob, You mention that your Baader filters catch on the Atik wheel? Does this make them unusable?

Serious about planetary? Guess I am only into having a play and will probably have a go at some Lunar and solar (that don't really/at all need colour) Does that make the filters serious overkill? In which case I should just camera and worry about filters later!

Thoughts and thanks

Steve

Thanks Mike. Are you using a manual filter wheel?

The clue is in the statement..... Atik Filter wheel........ as far as I know they only do USB powered not manual?

Must be either very old or not an Atik filter wheel, can't find any reference to a manual one anywhere.

http://www.optcorp.com/a3-mfw-mechanical-filter-wheel-5-position-1-25inch.html

Found this one... had also assumed the one rob was referring to (above) was manual too. But I don't know much about the differences between these filter wheels. There seem to be quite a few that look pretty generic with an added brand?!

Never have I seen those before, you live and learn I guess. Anyway, mine is not manual and does not catch. You will soon regret, as has been mentioned to you before, having a manual filter wheel. Astrophotography, on the level you want to get to, (having spoken on a number of occasions to know what you are aiming for) can't be done for two and sixpence. A bit more for a second hand USB filter wheel is not worth skimping on in your case.

Addendum: That's why Atik manual filter wheels are not commonplace and I can't find any New ones for sale in the UK.

Edited by Perkil8r
  • Like 1