• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I am getting there !

Guest zidder

I had a two hour session tonight, I set myself some targets and with the help of my new tablet and Stellarium app I had more success than  the last two months together.

My first target was the Elephants trunk, I started by finding the Garnet star then scanned from there, although I don't think I saw any nebulosity the very fact I was able to locate the target area was very pleasing.

My next target was the double cluster in Cassiopia. WOW ! my first WOW, the shear number of stars really took me back and to see the Red ones in there as well was great.

My next was M52, took a bit of doing to get this, at first I wasn't sure if I had actually got it but again using stellarium convinced me I had.

Next was Whirlpool Galaxy, now this on is more of an uncertainty, Starting at Alkaid I scanned across and keep seeing a very faint object passing across the eye piece, once more referring to stellarium I was happy I was in the right place but because it was very faint and could only see it with averted vision It may or may not have been it. 

All in all I would say my best session yet because with a little help I had located what I was after ? and had a WOW

An aside I tried using the Stellarium app with GPS I  found it wasn't very accurate, point it at Andromeda and it actually showed cassiopia, I had double checked the coordinates in the setup and they where correct   

The double cluster always gives a wow.

Ic1396 the elephant trunk is very hard to see visually, you need dark skies but at least you saw the right area.

For another wow factor M3 should be pretty good.

Well done Gary I told you eventually it will click and you will get the hang of it.

Edited by Doc

Yeah nice one and congratulations on your first WOW.

M51 is a mare to find if any LP is around, it really is a dark site object, I can just see if from my garden but it is nothing to shout about.  Like Mick says, wait until you see your first globular and open cluster, they are nice, but the double cluster is one of my favourites.

You still looking to swap?

Yeah nice one and congratulations on your first WOW.

M51 is a mare to find if any LP is around, it really is a dark site object, I can just see if from my garden but it is nothing to shout about.  Like Mick says, wait until you see your first globular and open cluster, they are nice, but the double cluster is one of my favourites.

You still looking to swap?

Thanks Daz,

Ref your question, Don't know, my reason is only because I have a problem bending for periods, have made a small platform to lift it a little but not enough, we will see,unless someone offers me 200p on an eq 6 goto will probably stay with it and come up with a solution, have looked at the table you have

Great stuff Gary. Glad you had a good session. :thumbsup:

I think you'd end up bending to even more awkward positions with an EQ mount. Perhaps you could try an adjustable observing chair with your 250PX to save you bending so much.

Glad to hear you're having some success now. It really is rewarding to plan and then find that elusive faint fuzzy. 

I've got one of these. Not cheap but well worth it. It saves my back and also gives me a much steadier view. My only criticism is it's black so you can't see it in the dark. I got fed up with tripping over it and painted the frame with an aerosol of wheel silver and covered the seat in white leatherette. Why don't manufacturers think of these things! 

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-anti-tip-observing-chair/p1529203?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-astronomy-accessories-_-astronomy-misc-_-sky-watcher-anti-tip-observing-chair_1529203&utm_source=googlebase-extension&cm_mmc=google+-+warehouse+cameras+%26+lenses-_-shopping+-+other+products-_-&mkwid=kdpaz1hp&pcrid=54652739529&gclid=cj0keqia37cnbrchp7e-pm2mzp0beiqalsxqciiynzdyytyfpldepumelegvopzglevt0hjdead7bnyaaq6i8p8haq

That's not a bad session there Gary.

M51 is tricky, but if you look through the finder there are three stars that make up three corners of a square, M51 sits just inside where the other corner would be. I have never seen it from my back yard, but then I have "Blackpool" just down the road.

I agree with the above comments about getting an ironing board chair, it saves the back no end and makes longer sessions at the eye piece much more enjoyable.

Something like this would be good, this is the one I have and it works a treat, and is adjustable for even the lowest views.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-71310-Multi-Seat-Niveau-White/dp/B0000DH7KA

• Like 2

I've sometimes seen M51 in my binoculars but it's tough. I like the Double Cluster and have managed to snap it:

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/media/Deep%20Sky%20Objects/PerseusDoubleClusterY14AugD23_zps84db616e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

I also like Melotte 20, which is somewhat neglected and doesn't get enough publicity:

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/media/Deep%20Sky%20Objects/Melotte20Y14AugD23_zps0b2cab79.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10