• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 4

BAZ

We would like to get a feeling for how many members of the forum are interested in attending a EMS 4 event.

We may have to look for somewhere else other than the Anderby site, as this has increasingly become problematic with the regulars and "muggles" staying on the same field.

We don't have anywhere earmarked yet, and are asking the members so we don't waste time and effort if this is not a popular idea.

It would be great to get a feel of how many would be interested, and then we can start looking for somewhere suitable to accommodate us comfortably.

The basic criteria for the site would be somewhere dark, at least as good as Anderby. With all pitches supplied with hook ups, and a site we can negotiate with so we are in control of the field. That way muggles are not driving across the field at two in the morning for the toilet.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let Baz know, and then depending on demand, we can move forward and sort something out

It would be great to find somewhere that would welcome us, be a really dark location and somewhere far enough away from any major towns to get away from the sky glow from light pollution. We would ideally prefer this to be within a reasonable travelling distance for all, but even somewhere at the distance of Kelling would be worth it for really dark skies. Bear in mind North Yorks is only a two hour drive from Nottingham thanks to the A1, and it's pitch black up there.

Let us know how you feel and if you have any sites that may be worth a look. 

Until a dates set I can only give a provisional yes. If its too close to Kelling Im going to have to miss out Im afraid. I have no probs with a moon being up (so long as its not full that is) Theres always plenty to see and photograph on lunar.

If it has to be August then I think it will need to be around the 20th......

This is a good diagram....

http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/data/dm_diag/pdf/dm_cam_aug_2015.pdf

Personally I would prefer darker over warmer, you can sort out about being cold, you can't sort out the setting of the sun, but happy to go with the masses, it's not just about the AP/observing, there is also the social side to it.

:)

October when its darker please

moon around new although I can do NB imaging if needs be as long as its out of the way for a good few hours for visual crowd and it does help a bit with the imaging

ideally less than 3 hours journey time

I don't need fancy facilities like washing machines,showers and play areas just dark allow dogs and hookup

as late as possible in the year i suppose, the longer the dark the better 

November then ?

we used to do the Leonids under canvas up at Malham

Edited by Ibbo

too cold isn't it meant to be as much a social event if its cold and wet count me out  :(

Edited by Allan the Plumber

With hindsight, maybe August isn't a good idea, it's bang in the middle of school holidays, and there will be kids everywhere, that and the site price will reflect that. No owner is going to let us have a field when they can make money from it.

So if we are looking at October, then realistically we are looking at the weekend 10-11th and 17-18th. 

both are out for me, but never mind.  its a bit of a strange year, its the rugby world cup and we have tickets

so may be next year :)

sounds nice, only proviso would be if meadow not suitable at the time of year there would be no hook ups by the look of it??

I have been looking at campsites on the map, then cross referencing them with UK Campsite.com, the Avex dark sky map, and where possible a Ordnance survey map to check contours. This is to make sure a whopping great hill is not going to get in the way.

Having looked at the review on UK Campsite, this bit put up by the owners caught my eye.

A campsite is more than just the facilities it provides free for its visitors. It's also about allowing people to enjoy our property, situated as it is in one of the best natural environments in the UK, and allowing access to many footpaths and locations across the North Yorkshire Moors. Visitors are also free to pitch where they choose, bring as many tents, cars, trailers, boats as they wish, without any extra charges, and come and go freely all hours. We feel that this generous approach to our visitors makes our home a very relaxing place to holiday. 

October is good for me but be nice to have some electric. Upside of that being "unlit" !