• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Whats going off on Ceres then....?

Bino-viewer

It is an amazing image.

If only I was a geologist. Do you think that is a crater or a raised plateau?

My reasoning is if you look at the crater in the NE corner of the white crater it appears to be beneath the white crater. So it's either:

1. The impact of the white crater appeared later then the NE crater.

2. It's a plateau formed from a volcanic eruption which filled some of the NE crater.

Hey......i see my little thread i started back in February has reached 'Hot' status  :P

Thats a first for me. 

But i'm still wondering 'Whats going off on Ceres then' ?

Also, just learnt that Dawn will be descending still further, reaching 1450km by early August.

What with this and the New Horizons missions, i think we'll be in for a treat  :)

That is an amazing image...

It is an amazing image.

If only I was a geologist. Do you think that is a crater or a raised plateau?

My reasoning is if you look at the crater in the NE corner of the white crater it appears to be beneath the white crater. So it's either:

1. The impact of the white crater appeared later then the NE crater.

2. It's a plateau formed from a volcanic eruption which filled some of the NE crater.

Your right about the age of the respective craters. They use that idea to relatively age some rocks but to look at it I am pretty confident it's a crater rather than a plateau.

Not that I am an expert of course. I am surprised we are not hearing a few more ideas about what this may be especially with images like that.

Looks very much like something has come in and whacked Ceres to expose the ice/white under surface. There seems to be a faint dark fan shape eminating from the possible impact region.

The brighter material might be whats left of an impactor rather than from the body of Ceres. It may well be something like water ice or comet remains, which has just gone splat on the surface and might not have had enough velocity to have the energy to make a crater of it's own.

As for the cryo-vulcanism, it's a possibility, but it's not gravationally locked with a larger body to cause enough movement within the asteroid as Enceladus and Io are. But then stranger things happen.

It's amazing imagery. I can't wait to see what Pluto looks like.

Edited by BAZ

Ceres bright spots update

It is still unclear what the bright spots are on Ceres, but the Dawn spacecraft has now dropped down to a closer orbit...

After orbiting the asteroid for 15 days at 13,600 kilometres, looping over Ceres night time hemisphere, it has entered its second phase dropping down to 4,400 kilometres on June 6th, orbiting Ceres every 3 days.

Daylight is now enabling Dawn to see and photograph Ceres surface better.

The only consensus is that the material is highly reflective and may be ice, or salt deposits etc.

so watch this space...

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/bright-spots-shine-in-newest-dawn-ceres-images

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Another animation from Ceres.

Get your 3D glasses out !!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=Inc9BtRip04

Nice update Rob, fascinating stuff! ðŸ‘

The 4 mile high peak looks like a volcano!

The majority of the surface of Ceres appears very dark. The white areas look like recently disturbed areas, exposing a more reflective substance underneath... But it's odd they should lie in the centre of an old crater and on one side of the peak of the 'volcano' etc...

Intriguing to say the least! 😗

• 5 weeks later...

Ok then.......more news from the Dawn spacecraft currently circling Dwarf Planet Ceres.

How about this for an image ? I think its just breath-taking. Blown away by this story.

But it looks like the mysterious spots may be frozen CO2 deposits.....? Do correct me if i'm wrong.

Isn't CO2 known as 'Dry ice' ?

This is the stuff that sublimates, i.e. goes straight from a solid to a gas as it warms up, if i remember my school chemistry days.

The image looks to me to show areas where over time sublimation has occurred.

Here's the link to the full page on the Nasa website.

href='http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA19889'>http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA19889

All fascinating stuff.

Whats the general consensus ??

At least i think we can now rule out an advanced alien base........ ;)

• Like 1

btw, sorry, but i don't seem to be able to get a bigger image to upload ??

Flickr is only giving me a 'medium' 800 / 600 option ?? Not sure why ?

Edited by Bino-viewer

• 6 months later...

Though i'd resurrect my old Ceres thread.

Here's a recent recap from Nasa of whats been happening on the Dawn mission.

• Like 2

Occator crater close up....

25743259130_2cd42a7649_o.jpg

But........this last one blew me away when i saw it :o

What an amazing image. Wow !

25949672131_8990b6be0e_o.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

Cheers Rob.

Absolutely mind blowing pictures from what is currently a 9th magnitude, 0.3 arcsecond dot as seen from Earth :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update Rob?

There have been some amazing achievements over the last year, what with the pluto flyby, the Rosetta mission to 67P, this Ceres mission... ?