• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lincolnshire Dark Sites

Guest HykehamObservatory

Guest HykehamObservatory

I have a meeting with Lincolnshire County Council tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

Can someone please give me the address and post code of any Dark Sites we would like in Lincolnshire and I will discuss this with them. Sensible suggestions please. I only want two or three.

Hi Philip, perhaps you could be more specific about what the meeting is about and what you are trying to achieve. I am sure many members would support you in your quest for darker skies.

Are you asking for details of potential observing sites in Lincolnshire?

Guest HykehamObservatory

I have a meeting with the County Council lighting department as a 'thank you' for Lincoln A.S. supporting their application for street light money. I am not really expecting much but I want to get across the problems astronomers are having with outside lighting and try to get them to agree some form of outside energy policy. For instance. Why have 1000 watt business lights next to a 60 watt streetlight.

I would also like to approach the subject of keeping outside lighting to a minimum around a few sites in Lincolnshire. These sites must be dark already. My thoughts are Badger Farm, a site near Sleaford and Gibraltar Point near Skegness. I want to leave them with the post codes for the sites Lincolnshire astronomers would like kept dark.

I have been watching light pollution grow since the 1960's and can't see why so much energy is aimed at the clouds. Business LED lighting in Lincoln is making things ten times worse so I am taking up the invite.

It's up to EMS members.

Thanks for taking the time to explain Philip, I understand better now. Badger Farm near Asterby postcode is LN11 9UE. It is a lovely dark site and I hope it stays that way.

I hope some of the other guys and gals have some ideas. I think what you are doing is great and it is good to know that someone like yourself is out there trying to reduce light pollution on our behalf.

For the sake of clarity, the area we use at Badger Farm belongs to the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust and LCC would probably be more familiar with the site as part of the Red Hill Nature reserve.

I'm from Nottinghamshire, but would like to wish you all the best for a productive meeting, and hope you get a good hearing that generates some improvements.

Reducing light pollution can have wider reaching benefits in other areas besides astronomy and cost saving. High levels of light pollution disrupts the circadian rhythms of both humans and the natural world.

The more discussion with authorities on the subject of light pollution the better.

Good luck.

What about forced lighting curfews - At week ends/after 11.00pm when the Business is not running and security camera's should be using IR lighting anyway.

Plus compulsory light shrouds to force light downwards.

Even better have a National Park of "Darkness" on the wolds with rules governing lighting. Fits in with Nature aims (Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust etc)  as it causes problems to migrating birds ,moths etc and other related issues.

Just think of the wasted energy/money.

Guest HykehamObservatory

I am aware of most of the problems. I became the B.A.A. Campaign for Dark Skies Lincoln Officer ten years ago. The big problem is high power lights on private land. The council cannot do much about this without an official complaint being generated.

But I would suggest they still can help in other ways.

I am aware of most of the problems. I became the B.A.A. Campaign for Dark Skies Lincoln Officer ten years ago. The big problem is high power lights on private land. The council cannot do much about this without an official complaint being generated.

But I would suggest they still can help in other ways.

You're definitely the right man for the job then Phil :thumbsup:

I live in the "Burbs" of Nottingham, and have a leisure centre 500m away. So my LP is awful.

I wish you all the best, as if people don't shout up, then the ones who run these departments don't know what we (and wildlife) suffer.

Good Luck

Guest HykehamObservatory

Hi Baz,

First see who runs the leisure centre- Likely to be the City or County Council. Try finding the 'Sustainability' Officer on the council website. Their job is usually to reduce the carbon footprint of council properties- hence better lighting.

Phil

To be fair they now turn off the pitch lights when people have stopped using them, where they used to be on until 23.30 every night.

There is a substantial amount of car crime in the car park, so that's well lit. At least every fortnight we get the Police doing an air show over it.

I agree with the growing increase in lights, even Kelling is now suffering from a growing light dome from the Holt direction. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 02/03/2015 at 12:45, tbird said:

For the sake of clarity, the area we use at Badger Farm belongs to the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust and LCC would probably be more familiar with the site as part of the Red Hill Nature reserve. 

Hi you can use Badger farm as East LIncolnshire Astronomy club uses it  we are on Facebook too we meet at Scambleby  community hall every 3 rd Saturday  we will be there 16th Nov from 7pm until 9pm we have talks during daylight hrs in the summer