• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie from Newark

Guest Maverick

Guest Maverick

Hello all,

I have been reading the forum for a number of months and I have decided to take the plunge and delve a little deeper in to the world of Astronomy!

I am a extreme newbie, with a very basic Skywatcher Heritage 130p with assorted eye pieces. I have learnt some basics from the internet but would really like to meet up and pick up hints and friendly advice.

Time is a premium currently so I am wondering if there are any local meets in the Newark area? Even tips where to find local areas of less light pollution would be handy! 

Many thanks in advance!

Hi John, a warm welcome to EMS.

I am not sure about any meets round your way.

There are ELAC.  http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/60-east-lincolnshire-astronomy-club/

and the Lincoln Astronomical Society http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/96-lincoln-astronomical-society/

I would think there are some good dark skies a bit further out of Newark. The 130 is a capable scope and will keep you happy for a while.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, someone will be along to help out.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Edit:

Have a look on here for somewhere dark round your way. you can zoom in on it , but only to a point. Very handy though.

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

Edited by BAZ

A lot of people start with the 130P, it's a very capable scope that will show you many objects.

Welcome to EMS.

Hi John, just up the road from you at RAF Cranwell, enjoy the forum and ask away!! :)

Ron

Welcome to EMS John :)

You will get lots of help here, ask any questions in the relevant section.

Hi, welcome aboard. I had a 130 and it kept me happy for a couple of years. Best in that sort of range.

Hi and welcome, your very welcome to come to elac meetings we meet in the Lincolnshire wolds a bit of a drive I know but very dark.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, welcome to the forum, I am a newbie member too, this a great site.

Can also recommend you going along to a local club too, I am a member of the Mansfield and Sutton Astro club, very friendly.

Not too far from you. Enjoy the forum.