• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar Eclipse Glasses!

Perkil8r

If you are looking for solar eclipse glasses you could do a lot worse than buy them here:

http://estore.manchester.ac.uk/browse/extra_info.asp?compid=1&modid=1&deptid=171&catid=307&prodvarid=216

From £1.50 a pair if you buy 10 and £2 each when buying 2 pairs. Guaranteed to be delivered by 18th March 2015. I know some retailers are struggling with demand, plus I am guessing some of the profit will find its way back into the University.

Since this forum is viewable by far more people than just us regular stargazers, I thought it would be wise to include the following warning in this thread.

NEVER EVER use eclipse glasses with any optical magnifying aid. NEVER EVER with binoculars which could result in PERMANENT BLINDNESS. They should solely be used as you would wear spectacles.

Hopefully someone will delete this and do a better warning, since I'm dashing off to work now.

• Like 2

The pack of 5 for £8 has run out so I've bought two packs of two for £8.

Fingers crossed for clear skies.

good reminder from Pete about dangers

is it worth a splash front page with a warning in the run up to the event

good reminder from Pete about dangers

is it worth a splash front page with a warning in the run up to the event

Funny you should say that, today I have been looking for any official blurb regarding solar viewing with a view to getting a notice put up.

I will find a link to something I have used, it does the job pretty well.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike was going to ask you for something similar for school.

Steve

I've been using this for a few weeks now. We have had the little darlings making posters to put up around school too.

That is great Mike.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

It says a lot with few words and gets the message over :thumbsup:

Is anyone planning to meet for the solar eclipse on 20 Mar? I'm wondering if there are any known view points in the loughborough area. My back garden cant see low enough, although im on a high point. I dont know if Beacon Hill is open as early as the eclipse time? Ive just ordered a 70-300mm Tamron for my 1100d. With a filter I made for the 1999 eclipse, im hoping it will be ok for a DSLR sensor, compared to film it was originally made for. Its a new camera and I dont want to fry that sensor. The filter is just made of aluminised Mylar film streched over a cardboard tube, which worked fine for the 1999 eclipse, and the sun was in the fov the whole duration piggybacked on driven mount. I dont intend to piggy back the 1100d though. Fixed tripod only. I'm a bit worried of getting that image into thecamera on live view. But if the filter is good enough, would it not matter how long that shutter was open or mirror lockek up whilst pointing at the sun?

Think me and a mate are going to head for croft quarry. Weather permitting of course. Don't know if anyone else has plans, think most will be at SGL.

Don't know where croft quarry is, but will look it up. I don't want to travel far. Ordered a 70-300mm Tamron. Hoping my home made Mylar filter will fit diameter or the lens.

SGL?  - you mean star gazers lounge? but where

Not sure if I'll go there Andy. If I can get a spot from Loughborough, all the better. Beacon hill? I just received a tamron 75-300mm lens for my 1100d. I may be short of a mylar filter. I'm hoping my current one will pop over the lens. Not sure how I'll focus manually once the filter cardboard cap is placed over the lens. It would stop me rotating the end of the lens? hmmmm? Need to think.

It would be quite nice from Beacon Hill I would think. I'll be chained to the observatory for the duration, that and the plant room roof. fingers crossed to be running 3 imaging rigs and streaming to the world wide web :facepalm:

Mine arrived today, they look very well made.

My five pack came today also :)

Pleased that they came well protected in a strong cardboard envelope saying "do not bend", and each pair in individual paper bags.

There are some robbing buggers out there. One listing on eBay has sold 9 pairs in the last hour, 9 pairs! That might not sound odd until I say that they are selling them at £36.95, yes £36.95 a pair! Mind you, they do come with free postage and packaging :rolleyes:

I am really regretting not having bought  1,000 pairs a few month ago!

There are some robbing buggers out there. One listing on eBay has sold 9 pairs in the last hour, 9 pairs! That might not sound odd until I say that they are selling them at £36.95, yes £36.95 a pair! Mind you, they do come with free postage and packaging :rolleyes:

I am really regretting not having bought  1,000 pairs a few month ago!

£36.95 - that's shocking