• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lincs meet went really well.

cosmic dave

Just got back in after meeting a few of the guys at gibraltar point, wow great site with lovely clear views all round, hope we can use that site again, thanks oldfruit, ron and tbird for letting me use your scopes, jupiter was amazing. Pitty I missed the fireball ! Look forward to doing it again next month.

Agree with you Dave, good meet and chat, we can make progress now!!

Yes ron, we missed a bloody fireball ! Gutted, was good to meet u at last, I think gib point will be ok about us meeting there again. I'm happy to do the promotion side if we get permission.

We'll get together on here tomorrow after a nights rest and discuss the details. Name sorted, dark site sorted need to talk to NNR manager about further meetings and publicity as we need to build up numbers to afford to be able to rent the centre for group meetings inside.

Regular meets and not calling ourselves a society. U will love it if u ever pop over mick.

Sounds like a good result!

I'm sure we can help by providing a forum board for you to use here if you want to use it for discussion or get your new members online. :)

I stayed at Gibralter point until 10:50, waited to see Saturn, not great seeing because it was low on the horizon, but that made 5 planets observed on the night. The view of Mars improved as the night went on, with some surface detail visible later on.

The fireball was absolutely spectacular, I couldn't believe how it went on and on across the sky eventually visibly breaking up then fading.

Thanks to Ron and Dave for organising the meeting and I'm looking forward to future meets.

Well, what a night. Was great to finally meet you guys. We had some nice views of Jupiter tonight with the GRS and some nice detail showing well in moments of better seeing. Mars also put on a pretty good show once it had gained altitude. Had a fantastic view of the Moon through tbirds monster 12 inch dob and also @ Ron, i found the comet!! The highlight of the night for me though was the fantastic fireball myself and tbird were fortunate enough to see. Unfortunately Dave missed it but it was a stunning sight moving from the North East i think and streaking across the sky for what must have been 5 seconds and then breaking up. A sight i will not be forgetting in a hurry. :) .

Thanks to all that attended and for letting me look through all your scopes. I think that Gibraltar Point would make a great regular observing site and look foreward to the next meet.

Thinking about it, the fireball was actually visible for longer then 5 seconds, probaly closer to ten seconds. Fantastic.

Edited by oldfruit

Here here, now off to work. Are we all happy with east lincs astronomy club ? ELAC ?

Sounds like you all had a fantastic time, what a brilliant start to your new group. Will have to come over one day when you guys are up and running. Congrats.

ELAC sounds good to me. So is that it then, now we are official and all that :D . An astronomy club is born.

What a great night to form an astro club - just as a meteor goes flying by - I can see it on the black T-shirts, mugs, and baseball caps already lol.

Congrats guys :)

Think Kim's had a great idea! A Fireball as a club motif! Need someone to design though!!

I can only add my congratulations, Iam pleased every thing went well for you all.

The Fireball was a heck of way to start, and would make a great motif, it would be something different.

Here's to your continued success.

Cheers Martyn, I know Dave's at work today but I'm sure the Fireball logo will appeal to him as well!!

Attatched a couple of grainy images of the scopes that we were using at Gibraltar Point. I must admit that i enjoyed the view through each and every one of them.

Yeap I'm at work (on lunch) a fireball logo is great as far as I'm concerned. Fits well with our first night. Next time I think we should set up by the info center fire doors tho to shield us from the car park and front lights ? If u get the go ahead to use gib point (I can't see a problem) I will knock up some promo posters and go round the local education venues. What we aiming for next time guys ? 12 plus on the night ?

Sounds good, check out the area on Google Earth Dave, see what's South of the Centre. We only set up there yesterday to get out of a howling Gale when we arrived!!

Typical East coast I know!

Have added ELAC to my signature on here and SGL already!

Edited by Ron Clarke