• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter

Johnnyaardvark

Not really the right scope for the job but was keen to have a play with software and gear.

Various bits of processing and numbers of frames... 

Captured with the QHY5L-II and EZplanetary, ED80 and Revelation 2xED barlow. Will have a go with the 200P when I finally get it collimated.

Some processing/stacking in Registax but more today using AS!2, Focussing at this image scale (and manually) was a pain in the %$*! so images are sharpened quite a bit to compensate.

16916574359_9077cfcc7d_b.jpgJupiter by sja88, on Flickr

16482618373_5c33698012_b.jpgJupiter by sja88, on Flickr

17102083201_358db23603_b.jpgJupiter - composite with moons by sja88, on Flickr

16912564199_c474fedc44_b.jpgJupiter and Moons by sja88, on Flickr

Thanks Mike. Quite pleased considering the fl of the ED80.

Wonder how on earth people manage to focus though! I guess more focal length would help a bit. Was through the murk last night as well. Not the best conditions really but I knew I would not get out this weekend and wanted to try out the camera for guiding and planetary. All went quite well. Managed 7 minute subs with no trailing. It's a capable little camera and I could see the DSO's I was imaging on PHD through the finder too! Just need darker skies now...

Steve

Nice one Steve those are really nice. I reckon if you chucked a 4x powermate in the ed 80 you'd get some great results.

Believe me focal length of the scope doesn't help with focussing at all! It's still a pain in the *** at a FL of 4.5m! I am currently manually focusing on my F18 OTA and it's frustrating. I am awaiting delivery of my JMI Motofocus so when that's arrived I will be able to focus shake free :)

They are looking good and when you get it sorted it should give you a cracking image. Are you focusing manually by eye, or are you using a Bhatinov mask?

For the Jupiter pics by eye. I may try focussing on a star for first using a Bhatinov mask next time. Not sure how well the diffraction spikes will show up on the short exposures but worth a go.

May think about a motorised focusser at assume point.

Thanks for the comments.

Don't bother with a Bhat mask, absolutely useless for planetary imaging. We discussed it with Damian Peach that time he came over for the day at James house. I've tried both Bhat masks and spending a good hour waiting and watching and adjusting the focus when the fleeting moments of clear seeing occur and out of the two methods waiting and watching works much better than than bhatinov masks in my own experience and Damian's for what it's worth :)

forget the mask and get an electric focuser

short term enlarge the knobs you have with an old coffee jar lid

but as i've said before electric all the way at longer f/l

i use the moons to get the focus as th efeatures on the disc flick in and out too much to be of much help unless seeing is steady- about once a year in the UK

Edited by Ibbo