• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fuzzy hunting starting in Leo

Smithysteve

Well the evening looked promising, no Moon, no clouds, I was eager to open up the dome and go fuzzy hunting in Leo!

Unparked the LX200 and goto’ed Jupiter first to check GOTO alignment etc. I had a 2â€, 25mm, 70 deg. University KONIG lens in place for most of the night.

I swung over to M65, M66 and NGC3628, the Leo triplet. I checked out the new Telrad to see where the 4 deg. circle sat and it complied exactly to the ‘Turn Left At Orion’ guide book. I’m finding the Telrad is brill. The other night seeing was not so good and I could not make out NGC3628, tonight it was there. Brill!!! I flitted between all three and then, just managed to get all 3 partly in the field of view. Awesome to see! Love those photons on the retina!

Ok, seeing is pretty good, despite the street lamps yards away!

Next, I goto’ed several other Leo galaxies, NGC3596 first, then on to another triplet, M105, NGC3371 & NGC3373. These were easily framed in the eyepiece.

M96, then M95, Wow I’m on a roll! This is exciting stuff!

M49 next, then NGC4526, GOTO is working great!

Popped over to the fantastic M3 glob. Unreal, fantastic!

To top this I went to M51, Whirlpool galaxy (and its interacting neighbour NGC5195) – Another first for me!

Sorry I have not done yet!

Thought I would try my look on the elusive M101 and BINGO, there it was, very faint but I got it!

Finished off by nailing M106 too!

Awesome night, Went to bed buzzing again!

• Like 3

Must admit that was a very very clear night and seeing conditions were excellent (IMHO) - Milky way very clear - more please. you found a lot of items

• Like 1

You obviously had a brilliant session, and bagged lots of interesting fuzzies Steve. :thumbsup:

Nice report steve. Sounds like you had a super evening. It was very clear. Thanks for sharing. Steve

Thanks for commenting everyone!

Yeah still buzzing.

It's good to share this with you all, you all get it!

I may have bored the pants off several members of the family though - they all get the full report when they call in ðŸ˜Šâ˜ºï¸ Lol.

Seriously though, it was a night I won't forget, so many galaxies (15 I think 😳 and M3) most of which I have never seen! Good seeing, no Moon and Goto came together, for once.

The most exciting bits were seeing 3 galaxies in the same FOV, twice in one night! Then, M51 /NGC 5195 (Whirlpool) and the fab M3 glob. It makes a big difference when the seeing is good...

Now I'm looking forward to topping it!

Cheers everybody! ðŸ‘

Now I'm looking forward to topping it!

Cheers everybody!

I'm sure you soon will when you point it towards Virgo and Coma :thumbsup:

• Like 1