• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Ashby de la Zouch

PolygonPi

Hi everyone!

My name's Andy, I usually spent my life inside messing around with computers, but after having a general interest in space and astronomy since I was a kid I decided to finally take the plunge, get outside, and get myself a telescope. After a bit a reading around I went for a Skywatcher Explorer 200p on an EQ5. I've had it out in the garden a few times and it's been great, Jupiter looks amazing with the moons and really clear banding and Venus has a definite phase. Unfortunately there's not much visiblity from my garden so I struggle to see anything that's not high up, and the light pollution in my part of Ashby seems pretty bad.

I will definitely attempt to make it out to one of your dark skies meets at some point, it'll be good to meet some people who actually know what they're doing, although as we're coming into summer I guess I picked the wrong time of year to get into the hobby :)

Hi Andy, warm welcome to EMS.

Some might say you have joined at the correct time, galaxy season is upon us and we still get a decent amount of darkness on a night without it being too cold.

Granted light pollution does have a big affect on galaxy's when doing visual but there are some nice open and globular clusters available at the moment, plus Jupiter as you have mentioned and Saturn will be making an appearance at a more sociable hour in the upcoming months.

Any questions just fire away in the appropriate section and somebody will be along with an answer soon.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Andy a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a cracking scope to be starting off with, and there's not an awful lot it won't be able to show you. 

I live near Nottingham, and also have bad light pollution, you will be amazed what a dark sky does for being able to find things.

If there's anything you are struggling with feel free to shout up and ask away, there's always help available.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm definitely looking forward to Saturn appearing at a sensible time of night, and in the meantime I'll have a go at some clusters while (re-)learning my way around the sky :)