• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Telrads, where do you put yours?

Perkil8r

Having been lucky enough to recieve a Telrad Reflex as a gift I'm now trying to decide where to mount it. So, as per title, Where do you mount yours?? Skyward end, or earthward end? I'm leaning towards skyward end...

On my 200p it goes between the focuser and the finder bracket. I do have it on a 2"riser too.

I can't seem to find enough space between Focuser and Finder, although if I put it between the rings it gets a good line of sight between the two. I still want to keep the finder on there as it is quite good really and might help for the fine tuning. Use Telrad to get near then use finder to home in, that's what I thought anyway? The other place it seems to work OK is oppostite side of the focuser to the finder, a similar distance away if that makes sense.

I'll be putting mine at the skyward end on top center of tube next to the finder (whenever I can find a 2" riser) :)

Hmm just looking at your picture there daz makes me think going for the 4" riser might be overkill, how does it feel without a riser?

settled for along side the finderscope. Seem to have good access to both from both sides in many positions. Might even get to play with it tonight! Need to nab some batteries out of the remote or something though lol.

Hmm just looking at your picture there daz makes me think going for the 4" riser might be overkill, how does it feel without a riser?

Yeah you can just make out the focuser and finder scope when looking throught the Telrad with both eyes, but i don't find that an issue at all.

I placed it where it was because my right eye is a bit dodgy due to some unfortunate lasering in the past, I can only see properly out of the left so i need everything to be accessable to the left eye without me running backwards and forwards round to the other side of the scope. Also, I can rest my chin on the top of the dob mount when looking through the Telrad.

Is that the 8 or 10 inch scope ?

It's all in my signature.........

but to answer your question anyway it's the 8" (200P)

I don't see the signature because I'm on my phone. Lol

I'm looking at buying the 10 inch, how do you find your scope ? Would you recommend it ?

Lol, no probs. yeah I love the 8", could not be happier with it as my first scope. But it is true what everybody says, appature fever kicks in and for as much as I love my 8", I wish I had waited longer and gone for the10". But saying that, had I of got the 10", I would of wanted the 12" or the 14" by now!!!!! Seen some good stuff with my scope, so for the price can not complain at all.