• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 180415

philjay

Like Dave I too had a crack at Venus and Jupiter last night. Unfortunately my Venus wasn't focused properly so the less said...

Anyrode this is my attempt at Jupiter with the 180 Mak at F15 with the IMGOH mono camera. About 1200 from 2500 frames. Pipp and AS2 then Registax

By the time I was able to start imaging the atmospherics had worsened so F15 was about the hgighest useful mag I could do. I did try barlowing at f30 but that didn't work.

f15b.jpg

Nice shot Phil :) it's funny you should mention bit using an or filter as I have sometimes had better results without one too.

Great image Phil. Nice detail.

Think i'll remove my IR blocker next time and see what difference it makes.

Cheers Alan, no I understand I should be using an IR blocker but Ive put it somewhere and cant find it now :-)

You'll probably find it screwed onto something you've used a while back and forgotten about! 

I have to swap my IR / UV blocker about when I'm using the Canon and lenses for wide field. I can never remember what I last used it on!

I wondered about the filter because I recently read an article (can't find it now) that had  mono frames taken with filters from Ha through to blue. The Ha frame was really sharp and they got fuzzier through the colours with blue being the least sharp. The full colour images were done with different mixes of Ha and  RGB I think.  

Very nice that. Loads of detail on the surface and great focus. The red spot always looks odd to me at the top though... not used to it! :)