• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

More Jupiter

Werisit

Seems we were all out imaging Jupiter last night. It was nice and clear down here.

This is my attempt.

Philips SPC 900 web cam, Altair Astro 130EDT, Celestron LX 2x Barlow with extra spacing between Barlow and cam, HEQ5 Pro, Sharp Cap. Registax, and a bit of Photo shop.

This is about the largest image scale I can manage. I've tried a 4x image mate but it cuts the light down too much.

I've been watching Jupiter and the red spot for a while and wanted to be sure I wasn't imagining the detail I could see. I wasn't !  

16575914144_05576b7d11_s.jpgCapture 18_04_2015 21_37_03 no2p1Eu, Io, Gan, Jup by apiggott47, on Flickr

Very nice, like the colour. Youve probably got the best sharpness without barlowing at that fl. I tried barlowing but conditions just werent good enough round these parts.

Edited by philjay

Nice image Alan.

Think I'll try a wider shot next time as looks great with the moons included.

Thank's for the kind comments guys.

I thought I may as well include the moons as I couldn't fill the frame any other way! Callisto was way out to the right so I couldn't get it in.

I recon a nice shot would be all 4 moons, a moon shadow and the GRS. I might have a play with Cartes Du Ciel and see when that'll happen.

Great work Alan. I am always impressed with what can be done with these web cams...

Best wishes,

Steve