• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Right angle Polar scope viewer

catman161

Ok so not the most technical of DIY projects but it works.

So since having to peer through the polar scope since getting my mount I have thought there must be a solution. Someone on astronomy shed said that right angle viewfinders can be had from Teleskop Service for circa £100. I thought that was a little steep.

So I set to watching EBay to find second hand right angle viewfinders for SLR/DSLR cameras. I found a good condition Nikon DR-3 which has a circular attachment. The circular attachment was key as I borrowed Dion (from astronomy sheds) idea of using a 32mm Plumb end stop. He uses them to attach webcams to so that he can use them as "polarcams" which eliminates the need for any bending of the spine whatsoever. As I don't image too much I wanted something that I could use all the time.

So I basically just got the trusty dremel tool and made a hole on the base of the plumb end stop that was a very snug "push in" fit and pushed the viewfinder through and a tiny dab of glue where the neck of the viewfinder sits flush with the plumb end stop and it was done. Some pics below. Optically it's great and will save my knees/back a little :)

avubytyt.jpg

de7ahe3a.jpg

Edited by catman161

"am not an imager!"

Nope - sorry - you can't say that now Felix - you took some pictures and posted them up in the forum so you are in fact an imager lol :)

Nice mod btw :)

"am not an imager!"

Nope - sorry - you can't say that now Felix - you took some pictures and posted them up in the forum so you are in fact an imager lol :)

Nice mod btw :)

Ha ha! I'm not a "proper" imager then! :) I mess about with a webcam but still very much like the visual :D lol!

I agree with Kim. your an imager now whether you like it or not :)

Nice mod by the way!

You and your trusty dremel are doing wonders, you could be an action hero......

DREMAL MAN TO THE RESCUE!

I agree with Kim. your an imager now whether you like it or not :)

Nice mod by the way!

You and your trusty dremel are doing wonders, you could be an action hero......

DREMAL MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Dremmel man! Ha ha ha! Seriously though I don't deserve the title imager-the proper images commit blood, sweat, tears and a hell of a lot of cash! I just got a webcam off eBay and spent months trying to work out how to use it and have done so a couple of times-maybe one day I I decide to start piling money into this hobby I may call myself an imager after perhaps 20 or so years :) For now it's just messing around :)