• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First go at guiding IC1396

Perkil8r

This needs a lot more data I know, and more importantly longer subs but here goes:

IC1396, Camera Canon 350d modded with IDAS clip filter. Scope ED80, Mount NEQ6, Guide Scope :o SW 8x50 finderscope, Guidecam Philips spc900. Guided with PHD.

Subs: 14 x 4mins @ 800 iso.

Stacked in DSS, processed in PS5. Noise is there due to having to stretch it like an elastic band being as how it's so faint.

8939613397_43afb3bf09_b.jpg
ic1396a by Perkil8r, on Flickr

It's a start.

I think that's super Mike. I can see you losing many hours outdoors now! :D

Its a damn good start Mike  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I couldn't have done it without you..... literally!

I think that's super Mike. I can see you losing many hours outdoors now! :D

More so than normal you mean? :D

Great start Mike, hoping to take the plunge after my holiday!!

Nice one.

Sounds like you've taken the same path to guiding as me.

My first guided attempt was a slightly more mundane target... Vega  :lol: (posted in gallery)

I'm looking forward to getting some longer subs done now i've tried and tested the guiding.

Did you have to fiddle with the aggressiveness in PHD?

I put some LED's on my guider output to see when adjustments are being made and it seems very busy !!!

Cheers 

Paul

Nice one.

Sounds like you've taken the same path to guiding as me.

My first guided attempt was a slightly more mundane target... Vega  :lol: (posted in gallery)

I'm looking forward to getting some longer subs done now i've tried and tested the guiding.

Did you have to fiddle with the aggressiveness in PHD?

I put some LED's on my guider output to see when adjustments are being made and it seems very busy !!!

Cheers 

Paul

Just the man! I hope you're ready for this, I have some questions :lol:

I seem to struggle getting a nice image in the webcam, I think it's down to settings as I have taken some half decent images of Saturn etc with it in the past.

Could you talk me through some of the settings you use please? Stephen asked about the agressiveness, I have no idea where or what this is?

I'm sure there will be more questions but that's all for now :D

As for movements, did you not use the graph tool? I did and after it had settled it was barely moving off the line.

Yeah.

I had same trouble with webcam focus.

Realised it was the settings for the webcam in 'cam dialogue'.

I pointed it at a bright star turned off auto and moved the exposure setting until the star appeared nice and bright with dark background with no noise.

I had a look at the graph. It was a but up and down on RA. I was probably too well balanced and should have put a bit of bias on the gears. It was a bit gusty too.

Gutted I wasn't there to meet you on Saturday. I was there the previous Saturday but with the full moon didn't get anywhere with imaging + I had been playing with my modded finder/guider and couldn't even focus on the moon  :facepalm:

Looking at your first image I think it's me who should be asking you the questions.....

Cheers

Paul

I got focus with the webcam no problem, it was getting a nice dark background with some guidestars I was struggling with :facepalm: I wasn't really using the exposure settings though I was trying more so with the brightness and gain. I'll try that next time.

As fr DSLR focusing I use a Bahtinov mask, it's quick and easy I find. This image I have had to use some blur on the false luminence to try and combat the noise. It's a much fainter nebula than I imagined so I have had to stretch it to hell and back to pull it out so the noise has gone through the roof. Without doing that the stars are very nice and sharp so next time I need to at least double the exp times.

The reason I ask about Dslr focus is because I use it for automated capture.

I just set how many exposures, how long for and delay inbetween!

Then proudly sit and watch it cluncking and whirring.

Let me know if you want a lead making up!

Paul

I'll screen shot my settings next time I attach the guide scope and post them - doesn't allow me to select them without it attached

That would be much appreciated, thank you :thumbsup:

As for a lead...... I use one of the cheap shutter timer things off eBay. If I had a lead I would use APT probably. Same premiss though, I set it up, check the first sub, then leave it running as I sit back and enjoy the evening. My next session I intend taking the EQ5 and doing some visual or possibly widefield imaging with the other camera whilst the imaging rig does it's stuff, but for IC1396 it needs a lot more subs and a lot longer too. I'm going for a 4 pane mossaic of the area next :facepalm:

Nice one Mike, so much HA...

I gave up on webcam guiding and bought a QHY5, the difference is night and day!

Great stuff Mike. Good luck with the mosaic!

Regards.