• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Right angle polar scope viewer

dawson

Inspired by Felix [as always] (http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4108-right-angle-polar-scope-viewer/) and getting really hacked off the other night with wet knees, stiff neck and aching back, I've gone down the right angle polar viewer.

First I got a right angle view finder off ebay (mine was £20 but you could find a suitable one cheaper if you looked hard I'm sure):

rightangle_zpsacc0acf1.jpg

Next I got a 32mm end plug (plumbing part) from B&Q (available at other hardware stores too):

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/waste___overflows/-specificproducttype-overflow_tubing/FloPlast-32mm-PP-Push-Fit-Waste-Access-Plug-Black-11478395?skuId=11989102

IMG_1448_zpsad8bed77.jpg

Astro Leigh got his tool out and some safety specs (his wife was watching from inside the house):

IMG_1449_zpsa1381b76.jpg

Then I got Astro Leigh to drill my hole:

IMG_1446_zpsedd3bf1e.jpg

IMG_1445_zps0005bad6.jpg

As he'd drilled to just the right amount, the right angle viewer fitted in the hole just right (after we'd removed the square metal plate):

IMG_1451_zps2c41a7ce.jpg

And now the awfully positioned polar scope viewing hole:

IMG_1453_zps0789b3e9.jpg

Has been put into a more comfortable position as the whole thing just pushed on to the polar viewer:

IMG_1454_zps9db4eba2.jpg

Now all I need to work out is how to polar align now the image is flipped in various planes...

Thanks Astro Leigh, and thanks Miranda for the tea :)

Edited by dawson

Not sure how to make the images ust appear directly from photobucket; I tried the obvious options.

James

P.S. Just worked it out (get link codes)

Edited by dawson

Very good James, question; how did you remove the square bit off the end of the angled viewer??

The one i got off ebay (carefully selected) had four very small screws which held the square plate onto a screw on ring. In fact, while i did remove the plate using the screws, in the final version of the device, the screw on ring wasn't used either, so i could have just unscrewed it all. That is why i used the words "suitable one" above, as i think working out how to attach the right angle viewer to the 32mm plug is key.

Also on mine, i can screw the focus on the polar scope right inwards, and then use the focus on the right angle device itself, to alter focus (well i can in day light anyway).

James

I only asked because I have an Olympus one with a zoom on the square piece. I'll check it out!

I do have a polar cam if I need one as well! 

Cheers

Ron

I can't really take any credit for anything. Felix had the idea, I ordered the bits, Leigh did the handy work. Hopefully I'll reap the benefits (well my back anyway).

:)

JD

Felix,

when I get chance I'll post some piccies of a polarscope illuminator that you might find useful to go with it. 

Felix,

I tried but couldn't figure out how to attach a photo to this thread.

In essence it's a white plastic tee (I think 18mm) used in plumbing that will fit in the hole of the mount. a plastic bottle cap is then used to hold a 12v red led in the arm of the tee that is at 90 degrees to the two arms that are straight through and a length of cable and a jack plug is attached to the led so that it can be powered from a dew heater controller or12v  psu. One end of the straight through is then inserted in a cap or bung of some description to hold it in the exit hole of the polar scope. I use mine in one of the dew heater sockets so that I can use the pot as a dimmer. I have used an attachment for a fountain to make the bung with some rubber tape but I'm looking to improve this to give a better fitting in the mount 

You have to have a Flickr or photo bucket or other image hosting account and then you link the pics here in the forum. Thanks anyway Dave, the description is good :)

I'm trying to get across to EMS2 for one of the nights, either Fri or Sat. I'll bring it with me so if you're there you can have a look. Failing that I'll bring it with me when I next go over to Kims for a cuppa

I've just re-adjusted my SW polar illuminator and used it to light the setting circle on the Dob!!

Hey Dave, I see I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I though it was to attach to the right angle polar scope viewer. My polar scope reticule is already illuminated so I have no need for a secondary illumination device. Cool bit if DIY though :)