• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter animation 19.01.2014

dawson

My first attempt at planetary animation. Jupiter and the semi-transit of the Great Red Spot. Taken in the back garden (West Bridgford), 19th January 2014, 22:00 to 00:00. Made up of 60 images (each image constructed in Registax6 from 60 x 1 minute videos captured using SharpCap2; 640x480, RGB24, exposure 0.0216ms, gain 28, gamma 45, 40-45fps) using a ASI ZWO 120MC camera on a Celestron C11 mounted on an AZEQ6. The 60 images loaded into PIPP and processed to make the video.

I am very pleased with it (though appreciate it is far from perfect), and the process of capturing the data and processing it has thrown up loads of questions and problems which will give me something to do for a few weeks.

JD

th_1_pipp_zpsa62f1dfd.jpg

Edited by dawson

Thanks all.

I didn't want it jumpy, so I went for a frame every 2 minutes and it's running at 10 frames per second. It's hard work though capturing the data. I need to find a way to automate both the data capture and the processing. Processing 60 videos through regstax is tedious to say the least, especially as my desktop PC will only run two windows of registax; three makes it all freeze.

I think I could have got away with doing 30 second captures, as each frame doesn't need a great amount of detail, like a still image. That would reduce the processing time.

I also need to figure out how to get the autofocus option in sharpcap2 working... I've asked if I can go and pester Rob in his obsy and pick up some tips form him.

Ibbo, I only linked your profile with your face at the end of the event on Saturday. I'd seen you before but never realised that was Ibbo :)

Right, time to tidy piles and piles of kit out of the conservatory, it looks like an astro-junk shop again.

JD

Here is one of the better frames used to make up the video; 60 seconds, about 40-45 fps, best 65% of frames used in Registax6.

34_zps14feca3e.jpg

JD

Nicely done James - very smooth and good to see something longer than 3 seconds flicking back and forth for a change.

Great job! :)

Thanks Ibbo, I'm off most of this week so I will explore these options with the data I have.

Kim yes. Felix and I have been talking about a long animation for sometime; I want to sort out the processes first, then look for the night when we can go for 10 hours on a stretch and get a full rotation of Jupiter with a high number of frames. It will be hard work, especially the weather contribution.

JD

Thanks Ibbo, I'm off most of this week so I will explore these options with the data I have.

Kim yes. Felix and I have been talking about a long animation for sometime; I want to sort out the processes first, then look for the night when we can go for 10 hours on a stretch and get a full rotation of Jupiter with a high number of frames. It will be hard work, especially the weather contribution.

JD

that will be interesting with a meridian flip thrown in for good measure

It's a pipe dream! It will probably never happen. I'd certainly struggle to get the full 10 hours stretch of Jupiter on show from my back garden so would have to look elsewhere which throws up power issues unless i powered the laptop from the car. I hadn't even thought about the meridian flip, i really will have to take care to sort the wires out that night!

Jd

that is really amazing James for a first effort, i`ve never had a image as good as the video you have, well done

Thanks all.

Tobias [the younger] has the 127 on loan at the moment, astro leigh has desires to play with the 180; there's a 90mm mak too in the garage!

I might start my own telescope lending service :)

Jd