• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter RGB

Ibbo

The GRS never disappoints. Nicely captured.

What was the seeing like?

How long in time was each of R, G and B? Do you have to re-focus between the different filters?

Jd

Very nice GRS there Steve... Something I have never seen with my own eye's so look forward to that sometime. Is some of blurring there due to Jupiter's Rotation? Can you have too many frames?

Thanks folks

Steve-probably not the best time process them at 3am and I may have overdone the noise reduction at the end

James 60secs each seeing was not too bad compared with what we have had of late but still not good and I do have to do 1 pulse of the focuser for the blue

I use a Shoestring focus thingy and focuspal or the JMI focuser that has a DC motor

Edited by Ibbo

Speed, get on with it, Jupes is still at its best, but will just get lower in the sky.

Do you have a webcam and laptop?

JD

Hi Steve,

I'm currently playing around with imaging Jupiter using my SLR and various teleconverters. I have had reasonable success but have only used 20 pics so far when stacking.

Would it be possible for you to upload just a single frame from your stack please so I can see what sort of quality I have to aim for and if I am getting the required quality to be worth taking a large number of frames. 

Eventually I will get a proper imager and go the video route but at the moment I am enjoying experimenting with mu SLR :)

Here is a 1gig video of a capture of jupiter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73a15qh0tz4brmx/Capture%2019_01_2014%2022_12_49.avi

You should be able to scroll along and see the variation in frames.

These are videos, not single frames per se. You need so many (1200 in ibbos case) as 30% or so will be rubbish due to movement or atmospherics. Then the software just takes the best bits (is how i like to think of it) from the remaining frames and stacks them to make the best possible image; tweeking the wavelets at the end of stacking also has a massive impact on sharpening the image.

James

same stacks re processed as RRGB and left at 100% instead of 120%

still not entirely happy with it, having said that it probably has the makings of my best ever Jove image

though I have load of other vids from the other night I have not played attempted to process yet :D

or am I over processing slightly out of focus data that is also blurring due to rotation and over long video runs

dc542a2ba822a985fe618d8ee57d08f7.1824x0_

Edited by Ibbo

Looks good Steve.

A lot better than my SLR images.

I really need to get a webcam ( probably a Neximage 5 ) and do some video stacking. Just waiting for payday :)

Edited by TasKiNG

Looks good Steve.

A lot better than my SLR images.

I really need to get a webcam ( probably a Neximage 5 ) and do some video stacking. Just waiting for payday :)

The ZWO ASI120MC (colour) or ASI120MM (Mono) are well worth a look if you plan on doing planetary imaging. If you go for the mono version you'll obviously need RGB filters to make a colour image. I use the colour version and highly recommend these cameras.

The detail looks like it should be excellent, but it looks ever so slightly like one of those 3d eye puzzles. Are the layers absolutely one on top of the other? I've never tried RGB anything so i don't even know if that is what has been done.

Was this shot at the native F/10 or was there something else in between the scope and the cameras sensor?

Jd

The ZWO ASI120MC (colour) or ASI120MM (Mono) are well worth a look if you plan on doing planetary imaging. If you go for the mono version you'll obviously need RGB filters to make a colour image. I use the colour version and highly recommend these cameras.

Thanks Felix, I'll check out the ASl120MC as the Neximage 5 seems to get very mixed reviews