• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar Finder

Werisit

Just reading another post and thought this might be useful. It's the home made jobby I use on my ST102 and uses Baader solar safety film. It has to have a flange to sandwich the film so you loose the ability to look at the shadow to get solar alignment. 

Look closely and you'll see I've poked a hole through the cardboard flange with the point of a compass. This projects a pinhole image onto the baffle I've stuck onto the cardboard tube. Getting it lined up first time is difficult as usual but once you've got your sun centered in the ep then just put a cross on the baffle where the bright dot is. The greater the distance between pinhole and baffle the greater the accuracy. I'ts never too far off centre in a 2 degree field on mine.  

20193258153_6c7604520c_k.jpg005.IMG_1229 by Alan Piggott, on Flickr

• Like 1

I did see it. Very neat job. That's what made me think I should post this. If you have a home made filter like mine it's a free and easy mod that makes it easy to use.

• Like 2