• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M81

Tibbz2

Taken on saturday night, gave up with M82 as it just looks like an over-exposed slug on my laptop screen, so got M81 looking the best I could instead! Focus was better than the last attempt but still not the best.

CUPGQRS.jpg

125 x 90 second subs

50 darks

Bliney tibbz, that is impressive, both the number of subs and the lovely results given scope!

Great stuff.

Jd

How did you find using it?

Did you know there's a free download of Photoshop CS2 available?

Ron

I had a look and I think CS2 has been dropped.

They are difficult to process as a pair, quite different brightnesses. Nice job :)

Nicely done.

Question, as I'm a dirty visual monkey, excuse me for asking this (or tell me to shut up ;) ) I thought there was a limit to how many darks you could use in a given image?

I have a figure of around 20 knocking around my head.

Is this correct, and if you do use more than 20 darks, is it a waste?

(Or have I got it all completely wrong)

Still a great picture though!

Nicely done.

Question, as I'm a dirty visual monkey, excuse me for asking this (or tell me to shut up ;) ) I thought there was a limit to how many darks you could use in a given image?

Can't say I know, I just usually take about half as many as I have lights, don't know very much about the specifics!

Hopefully someone knows!

You can use as many as you want but the law of diminishing returns kicks in, so more (after a certain point) isn't always better.

Edited by xanthic

I heard 17 was the number?? I never have time totake more than 15 anyway! :D

Nicely done.

think the figure i was told was 21, but flats and bias i do 20

dont do darks :ill:

Really nice work Tobias. Loads of detail on M81.

I always feel it's "kind of cheating" but either in Gimp or PS you can work on layers and process your slug independently. Worth a play if you want to bring out the detail in that. Arguably is this where astrophotography becomes more art? :)

I had a look and I think CS2 has been dropped.

They are difficult to process as a pair, quite different brightnesses. Nice job :)

CS2 is still available (recently "looked") but I have my suspicions it's a little questionable whether of not it's completely legal. It may have been made available for users who already had I licence. Don't know if that is confirmed.

Steve

with my H9 darks made the image worse and I follow same for the 694

when i do cali frames i only do bias and flats and I do 50 of each but they only take a few minutes

law of diminishing returns I think and good flats are more useful

not sure where the odd number of darks comes in

when I do DSLR I do a few darks up to 16 if i have time and again good flats are more useful

and the most important thing is good data to start with

I see a lot of posts here and there banging on about cali frames and they almost always forget to say if the light frames are crap no matter how many cali frames you use the image will be crap

good data will give a good image but it can be wrecked by poor cali frames

sort out PA PA PA focus focus focus then worry about the cali frames

what you have done with the scope is very good and don't worry about the corners , with a DSLR you will get coma that looks like bad tracking sort out the middle where the object is and crop the bad bits out

Edited by Ibbo