• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Uploading images to a forum the easy way.

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

This will probably upset someone.....Oh,  what the hell...........

..........From time to time folk on this forum have trouble uploading their images. 

Very recently, Sheila, on another thread could not upload hers for example.

On the Stargazers Lounge all one need do is select the image on ones PC to be uploaded, click on it and

Bob's yer uncle. Job done. 

We on this forum, on the other hand, have to muck around using flickr etc etc. to upload. 

If only we had that easy Stargazers upload facility here. :(  

See, I told you that I would upset someone. :lol:

Edited by peepshow

I've noticed people having trouble recently, and wondered if it was some glitch with their own software.

I haven't had a problem with images since Mike (Perkil8tr) kindly put me straight a while back.

Prior to that I was just being totally thick :D

This will probably upset someone.....Oh,  what the hell...........

..........From time to time folk on this forum have trouble uploading their images. 

Very recently, Sheila, on another thread could not upload hers for example.

On the Stargazers Lounge all one need do is select the image on ones PC to be uploaded, click on it and

Bob's yer uncle. Job done. 

We on this forum, on the other hand, have to muck around using flickr etc etc. to upload. 

If only we had that easy Stargazers upload facility here. :(  

See, I told you that I would upset someone. :lol:

I agree it does seem a bit cumbersome even for people with IT knowledge. It should be as easy as SGL but I suspect it comes down to space on the server (i.e. Cost  :( ) and maybe trying to keep a tight security regime which is no bad thing.

Maybe those who moderate care to comment.

I am not AP so have no axe to grind - well on the MET office forecast's but thats another issue. :D

Unfortunately disk space costs money so to keep costs down we had to swap servers. The link provided by Stephen explains it all very well.

The problem i have is that the Flickr page has changed! No more pin?? So could Craig (if possible) re-check and give us the method using the new Flickr screen please?

Thanks

Ron

Guest Kheldar

The problem i have is that the Flickr page has changed! No more pin?? So could Craig (if possible) re-check and give us the method using the new Flickr screen please?

Thanks

Ron

Square box with an arrow, then BBCode ... I'm just uploading an image now to demonstrate ...

i gave up and use tapatalk or astrobin, found flickr very slow so tend to use these two. but astrobin is only for astro images.

Sheila

Being completely thick where pc stuff is involved i always use dropbox for my images.

2clicks and its done :D

Now I will drop a bomb shell and up set some people - Costs running a server(storage,bandwidth etc) I appreciate hence linking images instead of storing images on the EMS server and better security to some degree. However maybe if enough AP's want a simple "drag and Drop" system (even more simple then "simples" :P ) AND backed up storage of Pics there might be a case for a  optional charge ,similar to the "Dark Site" membership , which would provide such a option - even though it has "knock on" effects.

I have a good idea what the response will be - especially as it involves money  - but maybe its an idea to help people like Richard etc

As I say I am not , and most likely never be an AP, so it does not directly effect me but I appreciate Richard's(and maybe others!) point of view. :)

Guest Kheldar

Now I will drop a bomb shell and up set some people - Costs running a server(storage,bandwidth etc) I appreciate hence linking images instead of storing images on the EMS server and better security to some degree. However maybe if enough AP's want a simple "drag and Drop" system (even more simple then "simples" :P ) AND backed up storage of Pics there might be a case for a  optional charge ,similar to the "Dark Site" membership , which would provide such a option - even though it has "knock on" effects.

I have a good idea what the response will be - especially as it involves money  - but maybe its an idea to help people like Richard etc

As I say I am not , and most likely never be an AP, so it does not directly effect me but I appreciate Richard's(and maybe others!) point of view. :)

The AP was probably the least of the problems - Everyone had a gallery where they just uploaded any old thing, I think most of the disk usage was down to Ron and Sheilas pets :rofl:

That's fine a nice £10 surcharge per picture for Non Astro stuff.

I know my bandwidth drops whenever Ron uploads another bird/dog picture  :ph34r:

i would be quite happy to make it easier and the gallery was brilliant.  Would go back any day but it is up to others as well

i donjt know what storage/disc space costs, our website has unlimited and I dont think it costs a bomb but i am no geek

Sheila

@kheldar  :harhar:

Guest peepshow

I would be most willing to pay to improve the forum in this way. 

After all if we want a soapbox to speak from we ought to help

buy the timber from which it has been constructed. :D

Spending 1000's in some cases on astro equipment is not asking

much for a few quid a year to show the results from it either.

So tell me where and how to send the dosh and dosh you shall have. :lol:

Edited by peepshow

The problem is when you start running out of space. Then the costs start to go up. What was £10 to begin with becomes £15, then £20, etc. The more we store the more the cost escalates. Eventually we'll be back to square 1 and we'll have to remove it all.

I use Flickr all the time and it really is easy. There's no need to pay for storage or maintain additional functionality when there are free alternatives available.

Craig you are of course correct.

However  do you know (or could you find out) how much SGL are paying  and what they get for that - at least it would give everyone an idea of the approx costs. 

:)

Cheeky Stephen & Clive, I've only got one puppy!! With this weather not much AP either!! I have no problems using Flickr (see above) and am quite happy with the forum the way it is thankyou!  :)  :)

Cheeky Stephen & Clive, I've only got one puppy!! With this weather not much AP either!! I have no problems using Flickr (see above) and am quite happy with the forum the way it is thankyou!  :)  :)

:blush:

No problem - Its the wet weather and cloud cover driving my nuts. Plus the fact my Stepper motor driver isn't working 100%.

A chance of clear sky tomorrow night, but I'm not holding my breath!!