• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Time to buy :)

Brady

Well the mains adapter would be in the house running a 12v extension to the outside splitter, dont you think this is wise? most of my viewing will be done from home so didnt think it would be worth the while getting a battery and a charger for that, although i could rip the one out of the caravan  :)

No, that should do fine. 

When you get your new gear, spend a good while putting it together in daylight and figure out how it all works, so you know where it all goes when you are out in the dark.

When you put the date in, it's the American system MM.DD.YY, if you stick it in with the UK version it does all sorts of odd things.

Maplins do plenty of power supplies that convert mains to 12v. I have the XM21X which is regulated and fused but there's lots of choice. But if you come to a meet you'll need a field power pack. Congrats on your purchase :)

Thanks KIm, well its arrived today and already im at a total loss  :lol: questions questions questions...but not tonight im still getting over the shock of it....i will have a go at setting it up towards the weekend then use up some bandwidth ...Cheers

Wayne

Well I'm sat hopeing and praying for a clear patch but its looking a bit dim at the moment, if the forcast is right it might clear for a couple of hours but I'm sure you all know that already :) wish me luck..

All the best

Wayne

Hello Wayne. If you can get a look at Jupiter tonight there is a Great Red Spot transit. It will be central at about 11-45. Look out for a blob sticking out of the southern equatorial cloud belt (which will be at the top through your scope). Good luck, have fun!

Hi Alan, i did go out at around 11.30 and spent 3 hours with a pretty good sky, i did find Jupiter "amazing sight :)" although i did spend most of the time learning the ropes... :wacko:

It sounds like you're getting to grips with the kit Wayne. Exciting isn't it! 

It sure is Alan, its looking good for a view of Saturn tonight if i have it right  :unsure: i will be out for half hour if im lucky  :) ...1st viewing

That'll knock yer socks off! Saturn is a real jewel. It gets some great reactions from friends when they see it through the scope for the first time.

I failed completely with the showers last night Alan, will try again tonight if im back in time  ;)

Good luck with Saturn - it's well worth chasing down - real jaw dropping sight. :)

Jupiter Venus and Saturn within an hour....now i remember why i was interested in this :)  the little was pleased too....even though i woke her on a school night :ph34r:...is it me but Jupiter looked amazing while it was still light? sun had only been down 5 minutes and it looked fantastic...as it got darker Jupiter got brighter and seem to lose contrast a little, could of been weary eyes  :lol:  

Glad you both enjoyed the views. Jupiter is so bright that the detail can get washed out a little without suitable filters :)

Great stuff, I am glad you finally got your toes in the water so to speak. Kim watched Jupiter through the day as well, he was watching it during the night, nodded off, and it was still in the eyepiece after sunrise, I don't know how much you would be able to see, but certainly the banding and maybe the moons. I hasten to add this was the opposite side of the sky from the Sun.