• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which Webcam

Brady

Morning All

Can anyone recommend a webcam for imaging that is still available at all? i have a xbox cam coming that is purely for me to get my head around modding and trials and also looked at the better Philips SPC900NC which as you all know is unavailable at least for a modest cost :blush: , but the information seems to stop there, surely there must be another webcam out there that is also at the higher range of performance?

Any help is always appreciated

Wayne

It depends on your budget but the Philips ones are good as the chip is a proper ccd other than a cmos chip, but they are small chips, if you go for a bigger chip the costs increase but you also get a purpose built unit, plus they make good guide cams too.

Recommend a asi 120 or qhy 5.

Is it just the SPC900NC that has the ccd or has the lower end have them too  i.e the SPC230NC?, them cams above look the business Rob but way out of my budget, im looking for more of a conversion than a purpose built but thanks for the links, gives me an idea on what the costs are out there.

Wayne

The toucam spc800 has the same chip and can be flashed to think it's a 900.

I have a toucam but I have never got round to using it or upgrading it. There is a vid on YouTube tells you how.

I'm not ready to sell it, but you can borrow it on Wednesday if you like.

Edited by tuckstar

Im still scope hunting Andy but really do appreciate the offer, if you could bring it to look at at least i can get an idea what to look for, i have just found a good link on modifying a Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000, that looks good as well, maybe not as good as a CCD but the images he has taken look good enough for me at least https://astrophotovideo.wordpress.com/adapting-a-webcam-to-a-telescope/

The SPC880/900 don't work with Windows 8, except if you do a lot of work on the drivers. The Xbox cams aren't bad but I managed to <expletive> mine when trying to clean it!