• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is there something up with my eyes?

Doc

Is there something up with my eyes?

Let me explain. Last night I took my scope around my fathers as he hasn't seen it yet and we do observe sometimes together, well his friend came round as well and bought his 13mm Ethos for me to try.

A few years back I think at SGL3 I borrowed a 13E and an 8E of Owen Brazell, some of you might know him, his got a 24" dob I think and is well known in the astronomy circles. Well to cut a long story short I just couldn't get on with the Ethos's, I wanted to love them but I found then uncomfortable, I had to really stretch my eyes sideways to see the whole 100° FOV. It felt weird and not what I expected. The next night I borrowed a 30mm XW Pentax of someone I forgot who and it was fantastic, simply awesome, so comfortable and the best eyepiece to date I have ever used.

Anyway last night I tried the 13mm again to just make sure it wasn't the eyepiece and instantly I felt the same problems, so swapped with my UWAN 28mm and that felt comfortable.

So my question is can someone's eyes have a problem that makes them incapable of seeing the whole FOV of a Ethos, I thought your vision was capable of at least 120°

think this is more for the visual guys, i can only tell you some eyepieces i find very good but a lot of others i have

similar problems to you and they are not comfortable neither can i see the whole FOV

Doc 

Eyes are strange things.

They scan in all directions at an incredible rate.

You only actually focus on a very small point at any single moment in time then your brain puts all the bits together to create what you perceive to be the full picture so to speak.

To test what I am saying try looking at the text in a book.

Close one eye.

Focus your gaze on a full stop.

Or better yet focus on this full stop below.

Then without moving your eye you will notice that every thing else is out of focus.

Maybe your eyes do not scan the full 120 degrees with out a concious effort so giving you that uncomfortable feeling.

Edited by Graham

Pete is the bloke for this one, he has a knowledge of this subject like no other here.

I think this is a perfect example of what is good for one, is not good for all. We keep saying to people that EP's are a very personnel thing, I think this proves it, as i get on fantastically well with my 13mm Ethos but struggle with some others EP's.

Since you mention that you can see perfectly well with other EP's, I would say its unlikely your eyes are at fault, more the fact you just can't get on with the Ethos.

At least you tried before you bought one, now you know!

It is a weird sensation.

I had a similar experience with a 21 E / 14" Dob on the Perseus Double Cluster.

Although the view was breathtaking, i simply couldn't take it all in.

I had to look at each 'side' of the cluster in turn.

It was a bit like looking into a porthole.

Did you get any black-outing ?

I can get it with 82* fov eyepieces as well sometimes, and find 68* eyepieces my favourites.

I know what you mean Mick, I cannot get on with these super wide eps. I find it uncomfortable having to shift around to see around the fov. I suppose it may be because Im used to the narrower fov for planetary.

Because my scopes are driven, either manual or electric, I dont feel the need for superwides

I do get black outing in certain areas, I even get a small amount in my Uwan's but it's never bothered me.  I will have to try the 13E again but I'm pretty sure it happened while looking upwards mainly around the 10 or 2 O'clock positions.

Hi Mick, I don't think there is anything wrong with your eyes. As has been said previously, everyone's eyes are different and we all know that eyepieces are peculiar things, suiting one persons eyes and not another's. Personally I love taking my eyes and mind to extremes like IMAX cinema films and those cinemas that surround you with 180 degree semicircular screen that plays tricks with your brain, or those seaside space shuttle type things that also throw you around a bit and virtual reality type stuff. Some people have been known to have such a dislike to these things that it makes them feel sick.

Some of these ultra wide angle eyepieces have barrel or pincushion type distortions in order to create such a wide field, which creates weird sensations in some peoples brains when panning around. Maybe that is also something that doesn't suit you.

The best bet is just to use what works for you like the 82 degree UWANs you love. I know some like their design better than Naglers as the UWANs are less prone to kidney bean blackouts.

My eyes have just had a treat tonight. Mad Max Fury Road in 3D :) Not very deep and meaningful, but one of the most spectacular action packed films I've seen. Not much mirror signal manoeuvre happening in it though :)