• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie Hi all

Guest netspy7

Guest netspy7

Hi all im new to the site and astronomy.

our local school has opened an observatory and that has now got the whole Family started on this very educational and fun journey.

we only have a childs telescope at the minuite but are looking to buy an entry level one soon can anyone advise.

thanks all

paul

P,S Location = Long Eaton

Hi Paul, your in the right place to find out all you need to know, just start asking questions!!

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Paul,

Welcome to EMS. If you post your requirements for your telescope in the beginners section we will be all over it!!.

If you could post budget and give some idea what you may use it for that would help. In the mean time please do not buy anything from Argos or ebay!.

Also you may consider a pair of binos and a guide to the sky, 'Turn Left At Orion' or Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas are good choices..You are very close to one of our dark sites so you would be welcome to come along to an observing session to see what other folk have and what may suit you before parting with cash!!

Cheers

Hi Paul and family and welcome to EMS. In order for us to help you we need the answers to a few questions first I'm afraid.

1) what is your budget?

2) do you want to do all the finding of objects by hand or have the scope find them for you?

3) will you be wanting to take astro photos?

4) do you want it to be portable?

By answering these we will be able to advise you better. I appreciate you may not know the answers to these questions yet, but don't worry, we're not going anywhere and are here to help.

All the best, Darren.

Hi Paul and welcome to EMS. I remember watching about a school observatory in Long Eaton.

Guest @ndyC

Hi Paul and welcome.My kids are loving astronomy too since i bought my scope earlier in the year but ive still got to get the wife interested! :)

Hi Paul, a warm welcome to you all from EMS.

As already mentioned, don't part with any hard earned cash until you know what would suit you both for your budget and observational requirements.

Keep an eye on the threads and when we have a meet down Sawley come on down, and have a look at whats on offer, and see the pit falls some scopes have. They are a bit like cars, good at some things and no good at others.

Iam just up at J26 of the M1.

Any questions feel free to ask, post in the beginners section and they will be answered sensibly.