• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Well worth a read......

Bino-viewer

'The definitive Newtonian Reflector'

Great article to read here if you have a spare half hour, and are fascinated by Newtonian telescopes (and getting the best from them)

By Ed Turco, on the CN forum.

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/articles/the-definitive-newtonian-reflector-r2983

• Like 3

Thanks Rob. I have only had time to skim through it but will definitely study it more thoroughly later on. Some excellent ideas in there. :thumbsup:

Cheers Rob, it is a very fascinating read, Ed is a very experienced ATM (amateur telescope maker) and all of his long years of grinding and building up scopes oozes from the article.

There are several gems of knowledge and advice to be found within his inspiring report and again I can say I thoroughly enjoyed this Rob!

Cheers for bringing it to our attention!

Thanks. 

I love articles like this, and find it inspiring enough to make me want to start a project of my own in the Newtonian department.

But i'd want something in the 10 - 12" range. Often fancied an F6 12" or an F7 10"

I'd never contemplate grinding a mirror. I'd source that.

But i'd like to build and customise a tube, and have, over the years, researched a lot into doing it.

Think i want to retire first though.... :lol:

• Like 1

Hi Rob, I feel similar to you regarding the article and the subject of making a scope. Strangely, making the mirror actually appeals to me, whether I could do it to anywhere near the level of degree that Ed achieves after a lifetime of practice seems unlikely... Maybe it would be better to source... Need to research into this...

Years ago I looked into grinding a mirror, the methods, materials etc. That was well before I had ever heard of dobsonian mounts etc. So I guess making the mirrors is one thing, making a suitable mount was another...

I had a 6" newt on home made eq mount and wooden tripod until about 15 yrs ago, (in fact I still have the optical tube (mirrors focusser etc) in the loft... ). A 6" was the minimum size recommended for an amateur astronomer 40 years ago, things have changed a lot over the years... There are so many scopes on the market...

Anyway I never got around to doing anything about it, maybe I should now. I have now retired, I enjoy making things! The whole telescope would have to be planned in great detail, the mount ( I would love a dob 😊) mirrors etc... What size? What Focal length? Etc. Like you I would consider a 10" or 12" f5, f6, f7... My best view of the veil neb was through a 12" f4.5 dob...

I am going to look into this further, Ed has inspired me... You have inspired me... Oh dear... ðŸ˜

So what did your research turn up Rob?

Well, mainly i've looked at the various components needed.

Looked into optics.......Orion Optics, Oldham Optics, Nichol Optical

I've looked at sourcing a tube. Ideally i'd like carbon fibre to keep the weight down as much as anything.

I think i'd prefer a solid tube too, to a truss type. Less hassle setting up, easier to maintain collimation etc.

Then theres things like flocking material suppliers, mirror cells, spiders for the secondary (looked at a US company, 1800 destiny)

Cooling fans and optimum ways to achieve thermal equilibrium, secondary heaters.

Focusers and how i'd optimise the scope to work with a bino-viewer.........lots of things to consider.

I've not even thought about a Dob base yet ! I do know i'd like a tracking dob platform for it.

Problem is, i'm not very skilled in the DIY / Self mod / department.

I'm sure i could get someone in my astro society to advise me.....or i could just get the whole thing custom built (at a price) by someone like David Lukehurst.

Hi Rob, I am trying to get a feel for a potential project, and have only just started to scratch the surface.

I have had a look at some of the sites you mentioned, methods, ideas and prices at Oldhams and Nichols etc.

I have carried out searches on EMS for optics etc.

I am pretty practical, with an engineering background so making something is an option for me.

Anyway Rob, it's interesting looking into all of this. Whether it will grow into an actual project yet I do not know...

I will PM you when I have gathered a few more thoughts and a bit of data. Please feel free to PM me.

Cheers!