• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Orion, Taurus and the Pleiades

Guest Ryall

Guest Ryall

This is one of my very first attempts at shooting the night sky and also my very first attempt at photoshop.

nOhiTdk.jpg

Picture was a 30 second single exposure at 800 ISO taken with a Canon 7D and a 2.8/14mm lens.

The night I took this picture there was a near full moon high in the sky just out of shot and you can see some lens flare from it just at the top of the picture so the original picture was very washed  out and I put in in photoshop and just did some colour balancing to 'cool' the sky

Looking forward to trying some more soon.

I like that, very good.

:thumbsup:

I take it the glow on the horizon is Derby?

Nice work. How did you go about focusing? Nice camera there. Some potential for great astrophotography.

Steve

Guest Ryall

Nice work. How did you go about focusing? Nice camera there. Some potential for great astrophotography.

Steve

set the focusing ring on the lens a little bit below infinity and took some test shots until I was happy with the focus 

I like that, very good.

:thumbsup:

I take it the glow on the horizon is Derby?

Actually took this picture down near Gloucester at my parents house pretty sure the glow is Bristol  :)

Looks like you did OK with the focus. If you have something bright like the moon, Venus or Jupiter it may well be worth using auto focus on the bright objects then switching the lens to manual. Can be a bugger with wide field stuff to get the focus to lock but doable. May help? Steve