• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help me improve this please

Celeste

I got the scope out last night for the first time for ages....hoping for a good session with Mars. Although it is very small, I had a shot at imaging it, with and without barlows. The non-barlowed image is too small to even bother with, so I stayed with the 3x TAL barlow. Here is my problem, it didn't matter how much I tried, I just couldnt get the image into decent focus, this is the best I could get, how do I improve this? I used the mak127, 3x TAL and spc900 webcam.

1stmars-1.png

Guest Mark Payton

I am impressed you got that (which is excellent by the way), the moon washed out mars for me last night, I just got a bright white ball.

It's not you Nicky - the seeing/transparency wasn't that good last night - most pics I've seen so far are all coming out like this :)

To improve focus in good seeing use a bhatinov mask.

Thanks....yeah the moon was bright, But last night things were right for me to get out....a clear sky, calm kids and even some TIME haha.....

I will look into a mask Kim :) I need the p-ds looking at and sorting out...that seems better for imaging than the mak (is it just me? lol)

Oh and I will be looking for a new mount after the summer hols.....something alot more sturdier than the EQ3.2 (less shake)

From experience Nicky I tried Mars a few times with my 127 Mak and had similar problems.

The atmospherics as mentioned by others were against you, I was doing visual and I gave up after awhile because the atmosphere was swimming too much so imaging would have been difficult to say the least.

The detail on Mars is very low contrast at the best of times so with the moon almost full and close by, that would also have an effect although not a tremendous amount.

Did you let the scope cool enough? These little Maks take an hour at least to cool to get a stable image, dont even think of using a camera on it until the image has stabilised otherwise you will never get focus. The closed tube arrangement of the Mak does not allow quick cool downs.

Mars is still a small target despite it being at opossition therefore any planetary detail will only come through when all the above are just right. Also a 5" Mak hasnt got the resolving power of say a bigger 8 or 9.25" scope so what detail comes through will only be the bigger stuff.

Therefore bearing in mind all the above Nicky your image is a good un

Phil

Guest Fluke

I had a quick go at Mars on Monday night with my 127 Mak using the Bahtinov mask for the first time. I couldn't get it in any kind of focus but to be far I wasn't particularly patient so moved over to imaging the moon instead (without mask) and got some decent results.

Will try Mars again at the next opportunity and will let you know if I get anywhere with the Bahtinov mask.

Dan

It is all down to conditions, when the seeing is poor it will never come to focus.

Keep trying the 127Mak is capable of good images.

Mars_01Jan12_127mak_2xBarlow_text.png

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!! hahaha.....seems when I try something, everything is against me lol. I will try again when I can :)