• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M101 Revisited

wolfman_55

Hi All,

I've re-visited my recent attempt at the Pinwheel Galaxy having spent time watching some of Annie's astro videos about image processing. I think I've made some improvements, but as usual all comments gratefully received:

get.jpg

This is 50 x 900s, with darks and flats.

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave, that is a great image, well worth the time and effort. A beauty!

it does look full of detail but looks a bit noisy on the full blown image but i`m certain that can be fixed to make it look smoother, i find the processing the most difficult part, capturing is a doodle. 

it does look full of detail but looks a bit noisy on the full blown image but i`m certain that can be fixed to make it look smoother, i find the processing the most difficult part, capturing is a doodle. 

Couldn't agree more. I've sharpened the core of the galaxy to bring out the structure better. This increases the noise if you zoom in to much. Processing is as much artistic interpretation as scientific fact methinks....

Dave

• Like 1

I may be in a minority here but I prefer noisy, wild, under processed images.

It's a harsh environment out there and the false colour/Hubble palette types aren't my thing at all. There is an artistic beauty to those types of images, granted <3

Being a dab hand at producing noisy, wild, under processed images - I would say that :D