• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bradgate Park (infrared) 25/05/15

Guest VikN46

Guest VikN46

Hi, its been a while :)

I finally had a chance to get out with my modified camera and take some IR images. Not been through them all yet and conditions were less than ideal.

Taken with Canon 600D and Hoya 720nm infrared filter, EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, F11, shutter speed 1/200, ISO 400.

I forgot my tripod so all images were focused and taken handheld hence the faster shutter speed than I intended to try.

All things considered and my lack of processing skills I'm pretty happy with the outcome and looking forward to another go in better conditions.

Thanks for looking.

17901636450_9bdf102689_b.jpgBradgate Park IR 25/05/15 by Vik N, on Flickr

17465390514_18e2a80378_b.jpgBradgate Park IR 25/05/15 by Vik N, on Flickr

18088522545_54dce2f00d_b.jpgBradgate Park IR 25/05/15 by Vik N, on Flickr

Interesting Vicky, really like the first one!! Make a good Windows wallpaper!! ;):)

I was a fan of B&W IR photography some years back.  I remember using Kodak's infrared film (the black and white one, but there was a colour slide version I think).

This image has to be the best infrared image I've seen, so well done.  In fact it's got me interested on what mods were needed. When I did the black and white IR, I didn't have to mod the camera. I suppose because there was no sensor in it, the sensor was the film.  But I remember I used an R25A filter and had to make a slight adjustment when focussing using the infrared (red) line on the lens.  I think I focussed with the filter off (because it was hard to see through it), then put the filter back on, then make an adjustment (or make the adjustment before the filter went on).  Also, I think there was a factor for the filter, which needed to be accounted for in the speed - something like 8?  If the filter was removed and the light metering was used, the speed had to be 400. But with the filter on, the speed was 50 ISO - something like that?

It's beautiful how the tree leaves and grass comes out brilliant white. 

So, what mods are needed for a DSLR?  Can it be done without modifying the camera and just done in software, or is that only part way there with software?  I remember there was an article somewhere on turning your black and white images into infrared ones. I can only assume software filters would need to be applied to the image (which took all the wavelengths including infrared), which would filter out most visible wavelengths leaving just the infrared. But I don't know how close that is compared to actually using an infrared filter over the lens, and probably removing an infrared blocker from the camera as well.