• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Philips SPC880NC Webcam

catman161

Hey guys,

Is a Philips SPC880 that has been 'flashed' to SPC900 really as good as an actual SPC900??

Thanks

Yup it's the same chip in both. Mine's different though - it's the spc900nc with the chip change, LE, amp off, and cooling mods - remind me to show you next time we have a sess on the drive :)

Cool thanks Kim and thanks Eddy.Am looking at getting an SPC880NC or a 900 if one comes up.

Edited by catman161

Guest Fluke

You'll just have to be patient Felix if you want to get one at a sensible price.

I was looking for a couple of months before they came up at around £50 at Telescope House.

Think they've sold out at the mo, but worth checking back there every couple of days or so.

Guest Kheldar

The 900s are also priced higher than the 880s (due to rarity I guess,) but as stated above : makes no difference once flashed.

Awesome thanks Stephen-forgive my ignorance but what does the term "Flashed" actually mean?

Guest Kheldar

Awesome thanks Stephen-forgive my ignorance but what does the term "Flashed" actually mean?

Replacing the cameras internal firmware with an upgrade / replacement version.

I thought that was what it was,just wasn't quite sure. Thanks

I don't know where Morgans get them from but they got hold of a load of 880's about 18mths ago and sold them at £9.99 a pop by the hundreds. The price went up to £12.99 when they started pre-flashing them, then £19.99 when they added in a 1.25" nosepiece adaptor, Then a filter went on and they seemed to settle around £29.99.

If anyone is asking more then £30 for a bare bones model, then it's being weighted for scarcity cos the supply seems to have slowed up considerably now. I've seen them on e-bay at £90 sometime which is just daft.

The mod'ed ones cost a lot more so be careful what you're paying for if one does come up. A full SC1.5 mod alone costs £149 at Astronomiser - before the cost of the camera itself which you have to send to them. :)

(The SPC 900NC's were discontinued by Philips at least 3yrs ago btw so they're even rarer)

That's Kim :)

What does the mod by astronomiser enable the camera to do? Is it worth £149?

Guest Kheldar

That's Kim :)

What does the mod by astronomiser enable the camera to do? Is it worth £149?

There's a couple of mods (I don't remember what the different version are) but one is an amp off mod (reduce/remove amp glow) and the other is a long exposure mod (to do what it says on the tin.)

I have to be honest, if you're looking to do both of those mods, it's my belief you are better off looking for a S/H Atik 16ic rather than forking out all that money on what is effectively a cheap web cam.

I have to agree with Stephen - whilst the webcam mods are interesting, they are quite dear. But I was young and naiive and it was all the rage at the time so I got a new 900 and sent straight to Astronomiser and ended up spending around £200 which woulda been better going towards a purpose built second hand Attik.

The mods I had were amp off (reduces amp glow), chip change (to a more sensitive Sony b/w chip), long exposure, and cooling (they strap a fan on it to stop running hot).

It means you can expose for about 5mins at a time - I still haven't used it for that yet but will get round to it one day. Apart from snapping dso's they can also be used as very effecitve guide cams :)

I modded and flashed my 880.

The LE mod is much more tricky on the 880 as there is only one circuit board.

Flashing the chip is easy, Dion from Astronomyshed pointed me to the information required.

Wouldn't do the 880 mod again as it is an eye killer.

I did LE, Amp off and cooling.

Now only used as a guide camera...

Thanks for the offer of the loan pat,very kind of you. I'll leave it for now though as was just interested in the webcam Side of things. May not get one at all, might wait and go for a motorised mount and 1000d who knows!

Thanks again.

Felix

Depends on what you want to do with the camera.

A secondhand Atik 16ic can't do video AVI's for planetary imaging. That's really where the webcams score.

Though you can modify a webcam for long exposures on Deep Sky Objects for £200 you'd get a decent second hand Atik.

Horses for courses.

Don't buy a webcam off e bay, I was looking the other day and proces varied from 70 - 130 pounds, morgans used to sell the 880 version for 6 quid once upon a time.

Guest Fluke

Thanks for the offer of the loan pat,very kind of you. I'll leave it for now though as was just interested in the webcam Side of things. May not get one at all, might wait and go for a motorised mount and 1000d who knows!

Thanks again.

Felix

I'm thinking 1000d in the med/long term too :)

• 1 month later...

Really want to get a 1000d are they easy to use for a beginner to dslrs?

Resistance is futile!

Once you start down the dark path forever will it be your destiny :D

I've got a 1000d, couple of months ago, really easy to use, I've been a Pentax man for many years but glad I changed. Recommended!!