• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello

Guest thirda

Guest thirda

Hi,

Just registered and wanted to say hi. Just getting into astronomy and trying to find out what I can do. :-)

Allan

Hi Alan,

Welcome to EMS.

I'm another Derby boy.

This is a nice forum. Lots of helpful advice on here. Feel free to ask any question you like, no matter what.

I still consider myself a novice FWIW.

What you can do depends on what you have to spend, and whether you are just a casual observer, or want to get in to astrophotography etc.

All the best  :)

Hi Allan, a warm welcome to EMS.

A pair of binoculars is a good first step, it opens up another layer of sky to you. Even just wandering about and just looking can be a great way to just enjoy it all.

If you are looking to get a scope, then consider what direction you want to go in, visual or angling towards astrophotography, how much budget you have and how much space you have to store your gear.

Any questions, feel free to ask away in the appropriate section.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If your just getting into astronomy, my first bit of advice is, do not rush out and purchase the first thing you see, do your research, as questions on here and we will hopefully steer you towards something within your budget and help you achieve what you want.

:)

Guest thirda

Thanks, everyone, what a lovely welcome! 

I recently got a (very cheap) second-hand Skywatcher 130mm Newtonian and an EQ2 mount. I'm definitely interested in astrophotography, and yes, I know, this is probably hugely inadequate kit for doing anything good.  :) Basically just hoping to be able to play with it and see how I get on before thinking about buying anything else. 

Thanks!

Actually you will be suprised what you can see. I had a 130/900 sw explorer for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed using it. OK some times it felt like rolling up at a bike meet on a Honda chicken, but nobody judged my trusty little scope. Eventually aperture fever took over and I upgraded, but I still recommend that scope for anyone starting out visually.

I'm not an imager but you will find the eq2 mount is not up to imagining and the 130 explorer has to be seriously modded, mirror moved further up the tube , to gain focus with a DSLR.

Edited by tuckstar

Guest thirda

Actually you will be suprised what you can see. I had a 130/900 sw explorer for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed using it. OK some times it felt like rolling up at a bike meet on a Honda chicken, but nobody judged my trusty little scope. Eventually aperture fever took over and I upgraded, but I still recommend that scope for anyone starting out visually.

I'm not an imager but you will find the eq2 mount is not up to imagining and the 130 explorer has to be seriously modded, mirror moved further up the tube , to gain focus with a DSLR.

Thanks, that's good to know. At least it's something to try.  :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Could you please let know when and were you

Meet

Regards

Paul Heister

Best place to check is here.....

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/9-ems-meets/

Later on in the year when it gets dark earlier, meets are arranged (and cancelled due to the weather) at the last minute, so you need to keep an eye on this thread.