• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Question for the birders.......

catman161

Hi guys, this or is for the birders amongst us. It's specifically to do with birds of prey. On the commute to and from Nottingham I often notice a smallish bird(s) of prey which I think may be Kestrels. They tend to be flying/hovering "stationary" in one place by flapping the tips of their wings furiously.

So first question, is it a kestrel?

The second question is one regarding their behaviour. I often see them "hovering" over the central reservation of the dual carriageway when there are acres of green fields and hedges either side of the busy road.

Does anyone know of any particular reasons why they do this?

I struggle to fathom that the prey items will be better in the central reservation of a dual carriageway than in the beautiful countryside either side of it? I see this behaviour on an almost daily basis at different locations on the route home.

Thanks

Felix

That'll be a Kestral and they do seem to hover around roads. I presume, because their prey inhabits the grassy bits alongside roads.

Edited by Rusty Strings

Just speculation but animal trails often lead to road crossing points - perhaps they know a meal is gonna arrive sooner or later. :)

We had a Gos Hawk turn up in the garden one day with a smaller bird in it's claws. It sat under the conifers chomping on it for a good 20mins before flying off with it.

Thanks John. One as to assume that their prey also must live in the nice countryside rift net to the road also though surely?

I can't imagine the prey inhabit the central reservations of dual carriageways in greater volume than the hedgerows/grasslands??

It's a mystery ;)

Someone call Chris Packham!

One of the autum watch or spring watch programmes covered this a while ago, what you see most days is bound to be a Kestral Felix, I see them everyday on my way to Ruddington. The programe was a few years ago now so the memory is a bit fuzzy but i beleive it is because most roads/motorways are lined by hedges, a perfect place for small mammels to hide, hence why the Kestral hovers over roads/hedges and not in open fields where the small mammels will get picked off easily.

Thanks daz.

I get the hedges aspect it is the central reservation of a dual carriageway conundrum that vexes me :)

The theory is that it does not get disturbed by humans and other big predators and the constant traffic thundering past gets ignored

I have seen this often as well, the ones that hoer above the A52 from Nottingham to Derby are kestrals, why they do it I'm not sure. Kim are you sure that was a Goshawk, as those raptors are pretty rare and shy, they also look almost exactly the same as a Sparrowhawk, just wondering if someone told you thats all.

Goshawks are a whole lot bigger than Sparrowhawks, having been on a forest walk in NE France, a friend and I were confronted with a large Fem Goshawk flying/gliding along the same path towards us, we ducked under it, it was one of the most inspiring moments in my many years of birding!!

I meant similar colours to a sparrowhawk, I bet that moment was fantastic Ron, we had a similar moment at Dersingham Bog in Norfolk when a Marsh Harrier flew towards us.

I've just looked at pics of both on google images. They do look very similar and from what I remember (about 2yrs ago) it could've been a sparrow hawk. Standing on the ground this thing was about 12" tall. Absolutely beautiful bird with huge evil eyes and mostly grey plumage with striped chest. :)

Whatever it was Kim, they are both stunning birds, when you see them up close it sends shivers down your spine, well it does me.

Oh sure Mick - I was transfixed - couldn't keep my eyes off it - it was the first one I'd seen ever and couldn't believe it was only 12-15ft away in my back yard. :)

Birds of prey are very special !! Enjoying watching the Peregrines on Notts University earlier!