• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally, i've managed to track the ISS

Bino-viewer

Quick report of last night's session.

I wanted to have a go at observing (and tracking) the ISS through the scope, and also have a look at Saturn, as well as the other usual suspects.

As usual, i was using my trusty 5 inch refractor on the DM-6 mount.

All observations were done using binoviewers (Mk V) and 24mm & 19mm Televue Panoptics. The seeing didn't allow me to go much higher, so the N13s stayed in the case.

Set up at 21:30, and gave my scope the usual 5 mins or so cool down time.

First up : Venus.

A little low down, but the disc was noticeably larger than when i last saw it.

Maybe around a 55% lit disc ? Dichotomy can't be far away. 

I looked again when it was much lower and got a weird ghosting pattern which worried me. Was it my Mk V ?

I tried using mono-vision with a my mirror diagonal and a 13mm eyepiece, but it looked the same. Must be atmospheric distortion ?

Next : Jupiter.

Much better. Looked beautiful in the evening twilight. 3 moons visible and the GRS in the centre of the lower belt. A nice salmon pink colour.

Jupiter never disappoints in the Mk V & despite its lowish altitude and the so-so seeing, i was able to use 126x power on it with the 19 Pans.

Beautiful, i must have spent 20 minutes looking at it before it set behind our house.

Next up : ISS

Sunday nights ISS pass at 22:37hrs promised to be a good one.

I've tried lots of times to follow it but never managed it.

Before it arrived i had 3 practice runs using aircraft heading westwards into Manchester.

The DM-6 is unpowered but is also super smooth. I had to move the red dot in the finder far enough ahead of the plane, and then get straight back

to the eyepiece, with the hope i'd estimated the right trajectory. It worked, and i was able to follow the planes manually slewing the DM6

Another factor that had thwarted my past ISS efforts was me using too much magnification.

Tonight i opted for the 24mm Panoptics giving me exactly 100x.

Right on cue the ISS appeared over the house. I managed to follow it for a few seconds, then lost it. It moves so fast !!!

It was a very high pass so before long things got uncomfortable as i was getting lower and lower.

I decided to let it go then catch up with it as it moved eastwards.

I managed to spot it again and keep it in the field of view till it disappeared in the east. But the further eastwards it got the easier it was to follow, and

at 100x i had a great view of it. It actually looked like the amateur images you see of it. The solar panels were easily visible. It was shaped like a letter H.

I was really chuffed that i'd finally bagged it through the scope, and was surprised at the detail visible, especially considering its moving at 17000MPH.

In my 15x 50 binocs i see nothing, only a bright star like dot. But at 100x it really does look like a satellite !

I'm hooked now, and want to have a crack at imaging it.

One of the best things about having an unpowered mount if having the freedom to swing the scope across 180 deg of sky and be observing the next

object on the list in a few seconds. No clutches or wires or noisy beat up motors or plastic handsets to worry about. Bliss.

The summer triangle was nicely up, so i thought i'd check it out a few doubles.

Looking briefly over to the South i spotted Saturn getting higher. This was to be my final target of the evening, once it had cleared the trees to my south.

First double was Epsilon Lyrae, the famous 'Double-Double.  

Easily split, and looked ok in the so-so seeing both with the 19 Pans (126x) and the 24 Pans (100x)

On to Albireo, which as ever looked beautiful. I quickly had a look at Alcor & Mizar, up near the Zenith. This is one of my favourites.

I carried on westwards and spotted a familiar star : Algieba in Leo. Another nice double, similar brightness, orange in colour.

Didn't do a lot of deep sky last night with the summer twilight , but did look at M27 (Dumbbell) M57 (Ring) and had a go at M13.

M13 eluded me last night. I don't know why. M57 was a little blurry with direct vision, and not much better with averted vision. Light pollution, and only 5 inch of aperture count against me here....

Saturn had now cleared the trees which block it from my location, but i needed to transfer to the top of the garden (away from the trampoline!) to see it.

I had been looking forward to seeing again ; the first time this year, and also wanted a look at Antares.

I've read reports from observers looking at Saturn and considering its low position in Scorpius, wasn't expecting much.

It was great to look at it again, the rings now fully open. The seeing and low altitude made it hard, so i played a waiting game, hoping to catch a few moments of steadier seeing. I sat down, got comfy and spent 20 mins looking at it.

The Cassini division was just about visible in those better moments of seeing, and i could detect some subtle banding on the disc, but i was left with wanting more. Titan was there but faint. I barely detected only one other moon. Never mind, we only have to wait another 15 years or so and we'll be able to crank up the power again !! I wonder what i'll be observing with then ??

My final observation of the evening was the elusive Antares. Could i split it ??

Not a chance....it looked like an orange kaleidoscope !! 

I spent the last 5 mins looking at Scorpius (the top bit of it) , my favourite constellation, with Saturn in its claw, with just my naked eye.

Such a pity we never see it properly from the UK. The view of Scorpio, Sagittarius and the Milky way is always a treat when i'm abroad.

A look a the watch told me it was nearly 01:00 !!   And i'm up for work at 06:30...... :o

Thanks for reading  ;) ISS was definitely the highlight of the evening.

Absolutely brilliant Rob. :thumbsup:

You did incredibly well to track the ISS visually at 100x.

You had a great night on the other stuff as well.

I know hard it is to track the ISS, I done it for about 5 seconds once in my big dob but as you say it looks pretty awesome and you can see the solar panels. A big thumbs up for you doing it.

A lovely report and I know exactly what you mean about the joys of a Alt/Az mount.

Nice one Rob, a great report! I followed and enjoyed every step you made, your excitement at tracking the ISS is infectious.

More of the same please!

Thankyou....... :)

I'm not working till Friday now, so will set the scope up again tonight for another try.

ISS tonight (Tuesday) is visible 22:25-22:30

I may try dropping the magnification, and use my wide field. I don't use it much these days.

I'll Powermate x2 the 31mm Nagler for 60x magnification.

May make it a bit easier to follow with an 82deg fov.

Be interesting to see how 60x and 100x compare.......?

Pete, have you tried to spot it with your 25mm 100 degree-er with your refractor ?

I think you'd have a decent chance with that....?

Pete, have you tried to spot it with your 25mm 100 degree-er with your refractor ?

I think you'd have a decent chance with that....?

I'm sure it should be fairly easy to track using the 25mm, since it gives a 4.2 degree FOV, but at only 24x I doubt if I'd see any shape to it.

I can still get over two degrees with the 9mm at 67x, so that will probably be the best bet to properly see something.

You did it with only a 0.68 degree FOV, well done :thumbsup:  I don't think my mount is smooth enough to track with that size field of view.

Thanks Rob for a great read and inspiration. Got me wondering if I could do it with the Sky Tee 2 and ST 102. I'd love to see an image if you manage to catch one. 

• Like 1

That was a thrill. Got it tonight in the ST120 at 35x with the 17 Ethos looking small and rectangular, then swapped for the 9mm at 67x and managed to see the H. Only managed fleeting views as it was shifting quickly, and I did keep losing it.

Nearly forgot and only started getting the scope out at 10.20pm, no time to fit a finder, just sighted up the tube. Will get more prepared next time. Laser finder would be good for quick pointing ahead of the path, but would need a darker sky than tonights to see the beam properly.

Dead chuffed :) .

• Like 1

Another 3 hour session (21:20-00:30)

Felt a bit chilly when i came in and saw that the thermometer was only showing 9*C  :brr:

The night started badly with me breaking the flimsy plastic finder retainer plate (again)

I quite like the Baader Red dot,  but can feel a replacement is needed. Probably a Sky Surfer 5.

No worries though, the Telrad came to the rescue, and although it looks a bit precarious on my mount, it performed very well, and even stayed due free.

Tried ISS again, this time with mono vision, 31mm Nagler (x2 Powermated) giving 60x

Quite easy to follow, managed a couple of mins this time.

Good detail, the solar panels were evident. I feel i'm improving with my manual tracking skills.

I did however prefer the view at 100x with the Mk V / 24 Panoptics. Just about the right amount of magnification, i think.

I spent the rest of the evening in bino mode looking at a few deep sky objects, also Saturn at low power (38x) and Antares.

Antares seemed better at this lower power. Strikingly red. At times, i even kidded myself i'd detected its companion through the glare !!

Still no obvious Cassini division on Saturn to report.

I spent quite a bit of time in the summer triangle. Found M27, M57 and for the first time through the scope M11, the Wild Duck. I shall be returning to this one again soon.

I also found M13 easily this time using the Telrad, and then had a look at the Double Cluster, which impressed greatly.

I was tempted to stay out longer, there was a nice Iridium due at 01:54, but decided to call it a night.  :)

• Like 1

Must try this at some stage in my refractor my biggest eyepiece my 28mm Uwan will give me x30 mag and 2.7° FOV so got a good chance.

Amazing to think that 6 scientists are on board the ISS right now.

I calculated that the ISS will subtend a maximum angle in the sky a little larger than the size of Jupiter. That is certainly how it looked last night.

Must try this at some stage in my refractor my biggest eyepiece my 28mm Uwan will give me x30 mag and 2.7° FOV so got a good chance.

Use your 16mm UWAN :)

That should give a fine view and still with a wide enough FOV.