• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Midday Moon shot

Bino-viewer

Nice one Rob. Interesting shot of the moon in the daytime. Looks like you did well to spot that.

And there is not much wrong with the solar picture at all. Looking sharp around the spots and good facular. Nice to see what activity there is as I've not had the chance since the weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Thankyou Steve.

Focusing the moon was the main problem through the scope.

I couldn't see the focus peaking on the camera, the glare from the sun was too much.

I resorted to draping a towel over me to help keep the brightness down. What i must have looked like , i don't know.

I'm aiming to do something like the excellent image you posted on the 9th.

I need to get some compatible software and learn the basics first.

Problem is i only have a mac computer, so it needs to run on that.

Never used astro software before at all.

I'm fairly new to the astro software myself really.

Not sure what software there is for Mac. Would you considered running a version of windows on one? Guess that depends on how new your mac is. And I assume a dual boot could be an option too.

As for pc software I use various bits for different parts of my work flow to process an image and some of these steps are work around as my processing power is low and the images e.g. for that sun picture are very big.

PIPP I use for cropping a batch of images, centering the object in the field and outputting as tiff (which registax seems to cope better with than my large nef (nikon "raw") files on my low powered netbook.

Registax then does the stacking and some sharpening using wavelets at the end.

CS2 I use for some levels/curves final sharpening and colourising.

• Like 1