• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Member From Derbyshire.

M.

Hello guys.

I'm new here, so just saying hello.

I've just got my hands on a used Celestron C8 'the classic orange tube' in relatively good condition, that said it needs a power cable and I don't have a mount for it yet haha, but apart from this minor setback I'm happy.

im looking to restore this, any advice regarding set-up is welcomed and will be much appreciated.

All the best.

Martin.

Hi Martin, welcome aboard. Sorry can't help you with your c8 but I'm sure someone will be along with all the help you need soon enough. In the meantime enjoy the forum.

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

If you post your question in the beginners section, you may get more responses to your query.

Saying that, I have never owned a C8 but I suppose the only thing that will need doing to the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) is making sure it is collimated, then like you say, purchase a mount for it, a few decent EP's and away you go.

Good luck with you restoration, keep us updated and in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hello Martin.

Most of these Orange tube Celestron were in Fork mounts and eventually over many years the fork mounts started breaking down and eventually many were just deforked and used on normal EQ mounts.

If I was you, I would give it a clean inside and out, re grease the focuser and generally tidy it up. Then recollimate and find yourself one of the old fork mounts and refurbish that so new bearings etc and eventually you will have an excellent classic scope.

The orange tube scopes have a great reputation as being better then the modern ones so maybe worth doing.

There is a big following for these scopes on Cloudynights forum.

You will end up with one similar to this:

C8Hist1.jpg

Edited by Doc

Also here are the serial numbers:

The serial number is if i remember correctly written on the secondary.

Serial year
==========

004936 1973
176337 1977
219214 1975
339705 1975
800732 1975 - 1977 (C8 classic orangetube)
804081 1977
805507 1980 (C8 classic orangetube special coatings)
805630 1980 or later (C8 classic orangetube)
806633 1980 or later (C8 classic orangetube)
808735 1979 or later
810231 (C8 classic orangetube special coatings)
811294 (C8 classic orangetube)
811938 1981
815888 1982
822085 1983 - 1984 (est ?) (C8 classic orange tube) 
825682 at least 1984 (C8 blacktube Starbright…at least 1984 since that's when Starbright came out)
827259 at least 1984 (C8 classic orangetube)
- (Celestron Super C8 on Vixen Superpolaris GEM was first sold in 1984)
- (Haley's Comet came in 1986…Celestron quality supposedly really dipped during Haley's comet craze from 1985 - 1987, until Alan Hale was brought back to turn Celestron quality around in 1988)
845210 1987 (C8 blacktube Starbright coatings) 
847300 at least 1988 (SPC8 blacktube Starbright…ad claimed OTA was hand-selected by Alan Hale for ad photos) 
- (had to be in or after 1988 since 1988 is when Celestron brought Alan Hale back to restore quality and company reputation) 
850745 ???? (C8 classic with Starbright coatings…good optics)
858639 ???? (GP-C8) (older than 1991, newer than 1987)
877563 ???? (C8 blacktube no coatings) (immediately sold after buying, possibly bad optics (claimed "may need collimation"))
889700 1991 (Celestron Ultima C8 SCT blacktube) 
927520 2000 (C8 Fastar Starbright blacktube)
928504 2001 (C8 Nexstar 8 goldtube)
928774 ? (had to be 2001 or later, using S/N 928504 with firm new-scope purchase date above)
934042 2005 (C8 goldtube Starbright non-XLT)
935835 2004 (C8 blacktube C8-S goto Starbright non-XLT)
S12078 2009 (C8 Starbright XLT blacktube) 
S12561 (C8 Nexstar 8SE blacktube Starbright XLT)
S14029 (CPC800 XLT)
S16480 2008 (C8 XLT blacktube)
S19669 2009 (C8 XLT blacktube) 

Hi Martin, welcome to EMS.

I was watching that scope with interest as I have always fancied an original orange tube C8. I didn't bid because I have more scopes than I can look through at the moment and have been trying to rationalise my kit but it doesn't hurt to window shop :D  I noticed that the ad said it had power cable issues. Im sure its relatively simple to sort. Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you? If your not too far away from southderbyshire where I am Icould pop round or you round to me and we can take a look.

I noticed in the ad pics it didn't show that tripod, just the scope with mount and wedge plus carry case, did you get a tripod with it?

Phil 

PS just reread your post it sounds like you don't have the tripod. The ad included the mount, so you are OK there you just have to sort the power and source a tripod, that should be simple enough to source a modern tripod, the originals are like hens teeth Im afraid.They weren't that great anyway, just looked elegant.

Edited by philjay

Hi Martin, a warm welcome to EMS.

I don't know much about these but have heard as mentioned, that they have better optics than modern versions. I hope you get it sorted, these are great for Lunar and Planetary and as PhilJ has proved, pretty good for DSO's as well.

Have a look round here for a power cable, and if you get stuck, give him a shout.

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/

Edited by BAZ

Was this an E-bay add Phil.

If so I must have missed it.

Yes Mick, ended yesterday. I was watching it along with a telementor which has disappeared now, probably withdrawn or sold elsewhere at the Buy it now

Thanks for the welcomes and advice guys.

I paid £330 inc delivery for it off eBay and its on its way to me now, so I've yet to see the true condition. I must admit I had spent a fair few hours researching mounts and telescopes and originally planned to invest in a skywatcher 150p with an eq mount, but fell in love with the C8 as such.

Hi Martin and welcome to EMS. :)

If you're looking for a tripod or spares etc a useful site to watch is UK Astro Buy/Sell:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php

Most of the sales/purchases there are pretty reliable - astronomers look after their kit as a rule. If you need any advice just start a thread in the relevant section. All the best :)

Well, it's here and first impressions are good. It looks incredibly clean for its age which fits in with the sellers long term storage description.

I like the sturdiness and weight and the manual adjusters seem very solid and pleasant to use. It only came with a 25mm eyepiece, today I'm looking to order two eye pieces off eBay so I can get this out at the weekend.

The paintwork is thin coated course which I think could be lead based? I'm not sure part numbers match those off the list but I've done some research and I think this scope is early to mid 70s?

I'm not sure if the motor was a gimmick? I can't image it being that much practical use as its easy to adjust manually.

I wonder if anybody has retro fitted go to system haha.

I hope to never sell this scope, really fell in love with it and I'm looking to spend some money on it over the next few months.

I get some images up?

Congrats Martin - nice scope. :)

Just a little advice - I wouldn't buy any eyepieces off ebay unless you know what you're looking for, can judge a good eyepiece from a poor one, and know that you'll be comfy with it. Best thing would be to try a few loaners at a meeting (group or private) then order based on your experience (preferably from a reliable retailer).

Also look on UK Astro Buy Sell for used ones - eyepieces (and other astro gear) bought there tend to be more reliable and realistically priced. :)

Thanks.

Ive taken on advice given here and not looking to extend the mag over x200, I've invested money into a 10mm baader hyperion as recommended. Im now looking for a similar quality 15 -17mm eyepiece and filter options.

You won't be disappointed with the hyperion. I don't have a 10 but have most of the others. If you get the tuning rings you can alter the focal length. Also if you have a 2" focuser you can drop th3 bottom group of lenses out and use it as a 32mm.

Edited by tuckstar

The 8mm Hyperion is great for 250x magnification - when conditions allow. The 24mm Panoptic gives stunning lower power wide views - just so sparkly and crystal clear - one of the most beautiful pieces I've used in the 8" and 9.25" tubes. If we coincide at a meeting you'll have to remind me to let you try them. :)