• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

barlows and imaging

Guest Darrian

Guest Darrian

Hi guys ... would it be worth me buying a x3 or X5 barlow for imaging with a spc9000 .... or would it be too much..

Depends on how much you're magnifying it. On a super clear night you might get away with 250x to 300x but they don't happen very often. They reckon an spc900 produces an image equivalent to a 6mm eyepiece. A 3x barlow will effectively make it a 2mm piece. Divide that into your focal length for magnification.

I reckon you don't want to have a scope above an absolute max fl of 600mm for 300x mag. (If my sums are right lol) :)

I would stay well clear of the x5 barlow it's way to much power, the x3 will be good on those nights of good seeing.

Hi Darran.

I run a 5X Antares barlow with my Helios 200mm and it works great.

Attached images are with this set up.

Graham.

Edited by Astrotec Limited

I had a 5x barlow with my 200p and used it about twice in 3 years. Focus was an absolute pig.